Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

+ Plus Grades for Everyman registry set

Hi Everyone, Longtime Lurker here!

I’m working on building a $2.5 Indian Everyman set in AU58 or , not too difficult to do.
BUT reaching the top seems impossible.

I have been working on this for about 8 Months , buying a coin that I like when they are available.

Correct me if I am wrong but PCGS has graded a total of 17 +plus graded Indians in this denomination at AU58+

So my questions...
Is there ever a chance of one of theses coming up for auction?

What are the chances a NGC AU58+ crossing over?

A chance for one of my submissions getting this grade?

Thanks everyone ahead of time for the warm welcome

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 1:43PM

My guess would be slim on all 3 questions.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @DIMEMAN about the likelihood of crossing an NGC 58+. Crossing an NGC MS62 with a minimum grade of 58 probably has a better chance, but still slim.

Earning one ("making one") is possible but also a long shot. With so few $2.5 Indians graded 58+ (just 17 out of 16,000 AU58's!) they're not likely to be seen in auctions. But it is not out of the question.

In the bust half dollar world where I live PCGS is also very stingy about awarding 58+ (though not as scant as $2.5 Indians). I have "made" several over the last 10 years but my success record is probably lower than 5%.
    Lance.

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Well I will just bide my time and see if one ever comes up for sale or auction.

What should I expect bidding to be like if one of these coins ever does come up.

Most of this series in a 58 can be obtained for $275-400 in the current market.

So an AU58+ $1000?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen AU58+ coins bring MS65 money. For my set, Liberty Nickels, my dealer went through my AU58 set and cherry picked 10 to submit and 3 came back as AU58+. If you can see them, trying to cherry pick very nice coins, and submit for a + regrade is the best way to go. Way cheaper way to do this if you have access to the coins.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep....what dbldie55 said.....be prepared to pay WAY above grade if one comes available. Due to registry fever (everyman sets), people usually pay at least lower MS levels when buying AU58/AU58+ (depending on which is top of the grade for that series/year/mm)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Thanks Guys, Pretty much what I figure will happen when one shows up.
    I might wait until PCGS has another reconsideration special and see if some of my coins will upgrade.
    In the meantime I’ll keep my eyes open.

• Options

Look on Heritage Auctions, do a search for the coin in question and see if there is one with a buy from owner. Be prepared to pay at least 30% over the winning bid cost. I have found coins that I’m looking for and was able to purchase one for a price I was willing to pay. I would watch the auction sites, some you can put a want list on site and you will receive a email when one pops up. Good luck

• Options
    CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

It really depends upon the series, but I think what people have said is correct, especially with the low pops you describe for the $2.5 Indians. When I was selling Barber half dollars, common dates in AU-58+ at their height I was getting over $3,000 per coin. Depends upon how many people are chasing the same coins as you, too. That is a big factor in whether the prices are driven up.