Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help Identifying medal

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 23, 2019 5:17AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A co-worker of mine was I was talking to mentioned an old medal from France her mother found in a jewelry box she bought in the late 1960s, can anyone help me identify it? Here are the photos I have of it.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might help
    http://www.pdmedallions.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=137
    "This bronze medal of uncertain date commemorates the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre which took place in France on the 23rd August 1572 during the reign of King Charles IX and Elizabeth, daughter of Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor, his wife. The diameter of the medal is 38mm. The edge is bevelled and there is no mint mark. The medal has been sold. In August 1570, the peace of Saint-Germain-en-Laye was made which brought a temporary end to the conflict but the Catholics were not happy with the terms of the peace. They were shocked when Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, the Huguenot leader, was re-admitted to the council of the King and Catherine de’ Medici, Regent and mother of the young king Charles IX, planned to marry the king’s sister Marguerite de Valois to the Protestant prince Henry of Navarre. The marriage took place in Paris on the 18th August 1572. Paris was a mainly Catholic city and large numbers of well-born Protestants had gathered there for the wedding. On the 22 August an attempt was made to assassinate Admiral de Coligny and as a result he was badly wounded. The assassination attempt led to a crisis and an uprising in which large numbers of Protestant men, women and children were massacred and cut to pieces. The massacre started on the 23rd August, the eve of the Feast of Bartholomew the Apostle, and lasted in Paris for several days. In the weeks that followed the massacre spread to most of the major provincial towns in France."

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    This might help
    http://www.pdmedallions.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=137
    "This bronze medal of uncertain date commemorates the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre which took place in France on the 23rd August 1572 during the reign of King Charles IX and Elizabeth, daughter of Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor, his wife. The diameter of the medal is 38mm. The edge is bevelled and there is no mint mark. The medal has been sold. In August 1570, the peace of Saint-Germain-en-Laye was made which brought a temporary end to the conflict but the Catholics were not happy with the terms of the peace. They were shocked when Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, the Huguenot leader, was re-admitted to the council of the King and Catherine de’ Medici, Regent and mother of the young king Charles IX, planned to marry the king’s sister Marguerite de Valois to the Protestant prince Henry of Navarre. The marriage took place in Paris on the 18th August 1572. Paris was a mainly Catholic city and large numbers of well-born Protestants had gathered there for the wedding. On the 22 August an attempt was made to assassinate Admiral de Coligny and as a result he was badly wounded. The assassination attempt led to a crisis and an uprising in which large numbers of Protestant men, women and children were massacred and cut to pieces. The massacre started on the 23rd August, the eve of the Feast of Bartholomew the Apostle, and lasted in Paris for several days. In the weeks that followed the massacre spread to most of the major provincial towns in France."

That appears to be it, thank you! I will pass that on.