Home Sports Talk
Options

The World's 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams 2019

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2019 1:06PM in Sports Talk

Congrats to Jerry Jones, maybe now he can afford a higher end massage place.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#109386c8283d

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 2:21PM

Congrats to coach Jerry Jones.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

It blows my mind that the Patriots are not #1.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Congrats to Jerry Jones, maybe now he can afford a higher end massage place.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#109386c8283d

I think you have the wrong owner here. You are thinking of the Pat's owner. ;)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've long suspected that "Dimeman" who posts on the forum here is Jerry Jones.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    It blows my mind that the Patriots are not #1.

At least they didn't soak the taxpayers for a stadium!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I've long suspected that "Dimeman" who posts on the forum here is Jerry Jones.

I WISH...…….If I owned the Cowboys we would have another 15-20 SB trophy's! And I would be one rich dude!

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

According to Forbes the New York Knicks are worth more than the Lakers and the Patriots, two teams with a history of winning. I guess according to Forbes winning matters, but the market your in matters even more. So if Dolan sells the team will the Knicks be worth even more? That team has been mismanaged from cellar to mediocrity back to cellar. It looks like he may have them somewhat pointed in the right direction in that they are going young and may be playoff team in 2 or 3 years if they attract a key free agent or two.

It would be interesting to see how Forbes valued the Cavaliers with and without LeBron. Also I would like to see how much teams like the Brooklyn Nets and Clippers have increased with their recent additions. I would guess tickets, merchandise, and tv ratings are all going to increase significantly with those two teams. The Nets might even get a Christmas day game once Durant is back playing.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

If i had a Lincoln cent cull that was barely recognizable as a coin from all the damage, and was offered the Dallas Cowboys franchise in return for that cent...I would say, "Go away Jerry, i'm keeping the cent, now stop bothering me."

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

New ownership can help doormat franchises become successful. For example Steve Balmer has improved the Clippers and Joe Lacob has improved the Warriors. The Knicks could use new ownership.

Of course the Clippers and Warriors improved with new ownership and with the consulting efforts of "The Logo", Jerry West.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

I think what a lot of people are wondering is how Forbes arrived at these valuations. As it stands currently the Lakers have more marketable players and will be shown in many more prime time games than the Knicks. They will certainly sell more merchandise and have higher TV ratings. My guess is that the Knicks value stems a lot from the TV deals giving networks broadcasting rights for several years. The Patriots have been a well oiled machine for the last 15 years while the Knicks have mainly been a disaster. Still the Patriots are not worth as much as Knicks? I guess the Knicks have TV deals similar to that of the Yankees where the gravy train seemingly never ends.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.