Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why the "Weak" vs. "Strong" designation on 7/8TF Morgans?

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a silly question...since it really doesn't matter.

But why has PCGS (and other TPG's?) decided to designate the 7/8 TF Morgan's as either "Strong" or "Weak"? Seems to me, they either are, or aren't, from the 7/8 series of varieties. And for that matter, my "Weak" designated version (VAM-33) seems pretty prominent extra TF, and has "Doubled Legs" to boot...so is to me, a very interesting 7/8!

Figure there needs to be a reason, just can't quite figure it out with my own little head....

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

The differences I have seen has been in the number of tail feathers visible and how difficult it is to see them. That is, practically seen with the naked eye or needing a good glass .

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

All about the desirability and value. All 1911-D $21/2 are from the same dies, yet folks charge more for the strong "D" coins.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were going to sell a 7/8 mail order to someone who really wanted to see the secondary feathers well, you needed to have a "strong" one. If they received a "weak" one, they'd send it back. Ironically, the rarest ones (VAMs 44, 32, 34, 45) are all "weak".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file