Home Sports Talk
Options

Tom Brady slammed for jumping off a cliff in Costa Rica with daughter, 6: 'Irresponsible'

stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tom-brady-slammed-for-jumping-off-a-cliff-in-costa-rica-with-daughter-6-irresponsible-171118574.html

Tom Brady slammed for jumping off a cliff in Costa Rica with daughter, 6: 'Irresponsible'

Comments

• Options

I'm not a Brady hater like many out there. In fact, I'm as big a fan of his as I can be for any active player not on the Philadelphia Eagles.

But this incident to me is sick, and quite disturbing. Especially with his six year old daughter.

Come on Tom, you're smarter than this...aren't you?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the video and couldn’t believe it, I’m not easy to offend or shock but I cringed when I saw that.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of a 10’ cliff, good for her. My dad would have just pushed me off, ha. Kids are pansies these days, and parents are sissy-soft.

• Options

I got no problems with her jumping off the cliff, the problem I have is him holding on to her hand and forcing it when she backed off at the last second. 10 foot cliff or not she was getting BANGED UP if she landed in those rocks FACT

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 100 degree day here.

That water looks really good.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019 8:17AM

Parents have the right to travel in groups at least legal ones and related. Good for him/her. Parents who do family events together is awesome. Fear is in the mind and overcoming it at a young age is a better way to teach survival. I am sure he is not the first nor the last.
    I put my kids in pool at under a year and they learned to float and swim. Better then a kid slipping in pool and drowning. Think about that before you judge. My kids could float in water before they could walk on land.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Ok so we are going to go off the rails here and talk about everything except the simple fact that she would have gotten severely injured had she landed on the rocks and the chances of that happening multiplied by him essentially yanking her off while having her hand clutched. That being said I’m all for “Toughening” up children. My girlfriend’s 8 year old I taught how to defend himself, I play rough with him and give no quarter when he cry’s over little bumps and bruises.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2019 8:47AM

Considering that the Brady's are wealthy, I'd be sure that their home most likely has a large swimming pool with a diving board. Probably the kid swims in the pool and jumps off the diving board a lot.

However a home swimming pool with a diving board is a managed situation. Diving off some cliff in Costa Rica is not, even though that spot on the cliff looks as though it has been used, perhaps often, to dive off of.

Having a six year old dive off a 10' cliff, she could have easily slipped and fell, or any number of accidents could have occurred with a kid that age getting injured, possibly badly. Frankly, a kid that age shouldn't even be standing there, let alone diving off it.

There is a big difference between teaching kids challenges versus recklessness. This in my view was clearly recklessness. Very bad idea to teach children reckless behavior.

• Options

Perhaps Robert Kraft should write up guidelines for safe activity off the gridiron.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Ok so we are going to go off the rails here and talk about everything except the simple fact that she would have gotten severely injured had she landed on the rocks and the chances of that happening multiplied by him essentially yanking her off while having her hand clutched. That being said I’m all for “Toughening” up children. My girlfriend’s 8 year old I taught how to defend himself, I play rough with him and give no quarter when he cry’s over little bumps and bruises.

I'll guess the 8 year old beats Paul 4 out of 5 times. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Shamefully I admit I did receive a black eye not too long ago 😩

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I was playing outfield in Little League at 8 years old and could throw a hard ball fairly well from left field to home plate. So i would imagine that a punch to the face from an 8 year old could easily result in a black eye.

• Options

😂😂😂

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I was playing outfield in Little League at 8 years old and could throw a hard ball fairly well from left field to home plate. So i would imagine that a punch to the face from an 8 year old could easily result in a black eye.

Yes, I've taken many beatings from eight year olds who are after my pocket change. Usually the scrawny little punks
    go full Kato on me while I'm walking down the street, attacking from cover.
    You win some, you lose some. Usually forced to cough up my pocket change while lying bleeding in the gutter.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, I've taken many beatings from eight year olds who are after my pocket change. Usually the scrawny little punks
    go full Kato on me while I'm walking down the street, attacking from cover.
    You win some, you lose some. Usually forced to cough up my pocket change while lying bleeding in the gutter.

Those little old ladies can be brutal as well. I've heard that they can knock out big strong men with their walking canes also designed for hand-to-hand combat.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely dumb move by Brady. I haven't seen the video yet but it it's comparable to the video he shared a few years back of him jumping off a pretty high cliff then he deserves all of the criticism he gets.

• Options

I say this in all seriousness. Giselle has mentioned that Brady has suffered a number of concussions. Could be that his brain is not working all that well. May be a good time to hang it up.

• Options

Ten foot cliff was mentioned. That looks more like 15-20.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummmmm......why is this news?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady Derangement Syndrome.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    Ummmmm......why is this news?

Dave

Anytime Tom Brady does something awful such as this it's sports talk news.

We're talking Tom Brady here, not Sidney Futznik.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Ten foot cliff was mentioned. That looks more like 15-20.

I agree with ya!

I just re-quoted the 10' number which was mentioned so as to not be argumentative.

Interesting article about diving and spinal cord injuries:

https://blog.helphopelive.org/2016/07/21/diving-safety-2016/

Unforgettable Facts About Diving And Spinal Cord Injuries

“The only safe dive is the one you never take,” claimed an infographic from Shepherd Center. Is it true that diving puts you at risk? How serious is the connection between diving and spinal cord injuries?

July is the number one month for diving injuries by a wide margin. Here are 5 facts you need to know to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

Fact 1: Diving is the fourth leading cause of paralyzing spinal cord injuries.
    According to Shepherd Center, diving makes the list of the top five causes of spinal cord injuries with paralysis.

My opinion is the way Brady's kid landed in the water, she is very fortunate that nothing horribly bad happened to her. Putting a child at risk like that should be unacceptable.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I say this in all seriousness. Giselle has mentioned that Brady has suffered a number of concussions. Could be that his brain is not working all that well. May be a good time to hang it up.

I have to agree with ya!

Peyton Manning retired after winning the Super Bowl. Brady should have considered that as well.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Brady Derangement Syndrome.

It would be a crying shame if a great player such as this turns into something such as that. Especially when at this point in time, Brady really needs no further glory or money from playing football.

• Options

Wow - Looks more like obstacle courses used for training in boot camp by the US Marines.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really was hoping to rip Tommy-boy here, but I just can't get too upset. Not really a "hater" but thought I would have an opportunity to take a shot at Brady.

First of all, they didn't "dive" into the water. People that dive in, and get hurt, usually do so because the (head first) dive takes them quickly into deeper water and often they don't know how deep the water is before diving. This sure looks like a "safe" jump into a spot that the depth is known.

Looks to me like he could have hurt her shoulder when he pulled her off the "cliff", but it also seemed that they were going to jump, and he made the decision to bring her with, when she balked. Leaving her there might not have been a great choice either, at least this way he was right there if there is some kind of problem.

I really don't see much to complain about here. I have raised three children and the worst thing I ever did was buy my son a skateboard, THAT THING was dangerous, and him and his friends seemed to be trying to kill themselves!

No. I never did anything quite like what Tom did, but no one got hurt, so calm down people.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue I see is that his daughter balked at the last second, BUT, super Tom held on, causing her to hit the water on her right shoulder area. Let's be fair, at least twice I heard Tom ask her if she was ready. This tells me they discussed the jump prior to doing so. Tom did the 3-2-1 countdown, but she wanted to bail at the last second. Once gone, I think he had no choice but to hold on to her, this to ensure no drowning issues, or short falling into the rocks.

Looks bad for Tom, the NE haters have just been given a big slab of Porterhouse to chew on. Had it been a bit better planned, and his daughter was all in, it would have been so much better. Surely not even the haters think Tom would intentionally injure his daughter, that's just sick.

Gotta give you a D Tom...bad planning, poor execution.

• Options

Too bad it wasn't kap that did it.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Too bad it wasn't kap that did it.

Careful...…..you said the K word! :oB)

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Next time she'll go in on her own with no problem. After watching the video it's clear to me she could've been seriously in danger if he would have let go.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

Let it go people...….really.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

For Pete's sake, I once jumped off a hay loft (that's the upper open window of a barn for those of you in Rio Linda and UC Berkeley) and into a truck full of hay (don't worry there was enough to cushion the jump so you don't get hurt) and it was a lot of fun! Guess it's a good thing there was no social media back then (early 90s) so nagging armchair know-it-alls online wouldn't needlessly second guess stuff.

I mean, I guess if the water was shallow and/or there were open rocks/jaggy edges nearby or something that'd be one thing, but I doubt it.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Okay...

https://youtu.be/moSFlvxnbgk

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Here's another fact for you "daredevils" out there who think a six year old jumping into that pool of water is no big deal.

Forget about the possible injury aspect for a moment. Have any of you been reading lately about tourists dying in places such as Costa Rica from tainted food and water? The fact is that allowing a six year old to even swim in some outdoor fresh body of water in a place such as Costa Rica is a hazard in itself.

There could be all sorts of harmful amoebas and dangerous bacteria in waters such as that. An adult tourist's immune system could fend off those nasty microbes, but then again maybe not.

For sure these microscopic baddies can quickly ravage a six year old who hasn't yet fully developed a tough immune system. Especially a tourist child who goes from swimming in safe chlorinated water in America, to water in Costa Rica that upstream the local residents could be using for their sewage and waste disposal needs.

• Options

Again had Brady used a little less pull on her she would have hit the rocks and gotten seriously hurt since she backed off at the last second. Watch it again, if you can’t see that or understand the main point of it all then your a complete idiot

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she had hit the rocks, it could have been fatal. Jumping off a cliff proves nothing in life. I've jumped off of cliffs a lot higher, and I'm scared to death of my wife. Maybe I should have jumped off a higher cliff. I can still see the anger in my wife's eyes when I forgot to get the doughnuts with sprinkles. I still wake up in a cold sweat over it. I see Krispy Kreme in my nightmares.

• Options

It's arguable that eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts which is like consuming a sugar flavored, deep fried breaded chemistry set, is more hazardous to your health than a Costa Rica pool of water containing who knows what. LOL

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:

There could be all sorts of harmful amoebas and dangerous bacteria in waters such as that.

Not to mention sharks and alligators too.

If you had said poisonous snakes and disease carrying mosquitoes, then you'd be on to something.

• Options

The most dangerous thing on these islands is apparently hard liquor 🥃🍸🍹

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:
    It's arguable that eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts which is like consuming a sugar flavored, deep fried breaded chemistry set, is more hazardous to your health than a Costa Rica pool of water containing who knows what. LOL

I enjoy eating other things, but trust me, they can be just as dangerous. You have to be very careful where you put your mouth nowadays.

Especially on this forum. LOL

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The most dangerous thing on these islands is apparently hard liquor 🥃🍸🍹

Tainted with methanol.

19 people. RIP

• Options

@Estil said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Okay...

When I said let it go I was not condoning what he did. I would not do this.....heck I wouldn't even go to Costa Rica!

I'm just tired of the hype.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Estil said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Okay...

When I said let it go I was not condoning what he did. I would not do this.....heck I wouldn't even go to Costa Rica!

I'm just tired of the hype.

I just wish instead it would have been Dak Prescott who did it.

Then i might have enjoyed it somewhat. ;)