Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jack Of All Trades on Netflix- card collecting documentary

A fun watch about a guy who collected mass produced junk realizing its worthless now.

Comments

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

With his dysfunctional family.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@Tomi said:
    A fun watch about a guy who collected mass produced junk realizing its worthless now.

Probably happened to A LOT of people in the junk era.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    Which forum member is it based on?

A little piece of all of us. :p

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    Which forum member is it based on?

Ha!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one that thought Jose Canseco was going to call Mouschi? This documentary would have been cool just from the card angle but then they had to make it weird by adding that guy's family history.

• Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Just watched it last night and thought for sure that Jose was gonna call Tanner. I mean it seemed like a softball down the middle. My guess is that his collection surpassed that of that other guy. However, the “Foul Ball” Paul story was pretty cool. Brought back some memories though and also put into perspective how the boom created the fall and how today’s practices are strictly followed to prevent the overproduction era from ever occurring again.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

It was fun and easy to watch. I didn't care much for the family drama. I wanted him to dig more into the cards. I always enjoy hearing about all the over printing Upper Deck did. I am still waiting for the all Griffey rookie sheets to surface.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 3:51PM

Enjoyed watching the documentary.

The thing that made me cringe is the dad using the holocaust to try and gain sympathy for abandoning his wife and kids. The guy was a baby boomer and very much the prototypical baby boomer with all the common baby boomer characteristics.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

First part of the story was not very good, but I stuck with it and enjoyed it.

The funny thing (to me) is the complaining about how many cards were produced in the late 80's.

I guarantee that ANY company with sales going through the roof is going to increase production to meet the demand.

On the family side to the story, I am sure glad I never left my family for another woman. The way he did it was lame.

He did admit he was "stupid", hopefully they can have some kind of relationship moving forward.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

That is some EXCELLENT card bonfire action going on at the end !

• Options

@Horse said:
    That is some EXCELLENT card bonfire action going on at the end !

Would rather have seen the cards given to people in the hospital to enjoy, but the bonfire DID look like fun!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 9:48AM

this movie is certainly interesting...the dad's a real piece of work. as for the cards....i got boxes of 80-90's and i finally have been inspired with something to do with them.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I watched it last night. I liked the part that involved the actual cards. I felt like the family drama was a bit rehearsed and fake feeling. Let's not forget dude was a child actor.

Now I'm not saying it was fake, but it sure came across that way to me. The family drama parts may in fact be true in some way, but the emotions in the film seemed a fake.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always say there's a thin line between a hobby and insanity.

However, there is a strong line between having a hobby by its very definition and not.

Mike
  • Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Yeah the friend in Donnie Darko! When he pulled out his old collection from storage & was talking about having the winning lottery ticket I was like sorry man, not even close. If you're only collecting to make money then you probably won't have as much fun as when you were collecting as a kid.
    That being said, the story his dad told about him selling his 1st Superman comic for $7,500. That comic is worth hundreds of thousands today!

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:
    Yeah the friend in Donnie Darko! When he pulled out his old collection from storage & was talking about having the winning lottery ticket I was like sorry man, not even close. If you're only collecting to make money then you probably won't have as much fun as when you were collecting as a kid.
    That being said, the story his dad told about him selling his 1st Superman comic for $7,500. That comic is worth hundreds of thousands today!

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched it last week. The thing that stuck out to me was how many Ken Griffey Jr. rookies were made by Upper Deck. That is some shady stuff going on.

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Stu was at the show. He had posters of the movie with him. I got him to sign one. He was by the vintage breaks guys in the case break area.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    I watched it last night. I liked the part that involved the actual cards. I felt like the family drama was a bit rehearsed and fake feeling. Let's not forget dude was a child actor.

Now I'm not saying it was fake, but it sure came across that way to me. The family drama parts may in fact be true in some way, but the emotions in the film seemed a fake.

I think it was a bit reality TV/documentary. I definitely got the faking it vibe when he talked about how oblivious he was to the value of his cards. I think there was a moment where he actually was oblivious but that moment came prior to the filming. As you mentioned, he was an actor and I definitely think he was doing quite a bit of acting. I'm sure he got the idea for the documentary and staged that aspect of it. There is no doubt there are "scenes" in that documentary that are staged. But, just about every other documentary follows that pattern to some degree to ensure it remains interesting. In between everything going on there still lies an interesting story about just how the industry operated at that time and relating to what is going on today.

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

Welcome to the forum

Thanks. A lot of cool people in this forum so far.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019 10:31PM

You all are a tough crowd!

I enjoyed it. Stu was heartfelt about his desire to connect with his dad who deserted him years prior. And his dad, who obviously has issues, didn’t sugar coat a thing, yet still showed a glimpse of regret for his choices and their damaged relationship.

It was also a great inside look into how his dad was at the forefront of the modern card craze before values nosedived due to rampant overproduction. It made me really appreciate the charm of rare vintage cards.

Ultimately it was a love letter from Stu to the hobby, focused through the cracked lens of his relationship with his dad. The ending scene where Stu’s family and friends are tossing cards into the bonfire was a nice touch.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was watchable.
    It held my interest but as others have said, was a but weird at times.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I watched it, interesting movie

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Let’s be honest..... about 20% was worth the watch and 80% was not

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

movie was more about daddy issues than baseball cards

• Options

More about cards would have been better.

Why are we so mad at Upper Deck for producing so many cards? Any idiot should have known that with lines around the block and a card show every weekend, a lot of them were being printed. If i'm printing "money" I will be keeping the presses going 24-7. DUH!

Figure with the adults buying them they weren't going to get abused or thrown out.......................until now :-0

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Got my wife to watch it and we had a good laugh. Bailed on it when he got into the family stuff, seemed fake.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally getting around to watching it and two things have stuck out so far:

1) Karie...

2) His dad looks like John Kruk in the older clips

• Options
    SoxSox Posts: 16 ✭✭

Interesting watch but 1000% fake. There is NO WAY that he thought his cards were worth a fortune. Did anyone here have any interactions (or remember) with his father back in the day?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 12:39PM

I don't have kids, but if I do, I will teach he/she the ropes of the collecting world. How to snipe, how to lie to your spouse about purchases, the best places to hide cards from your spouse, how to go to the mailbox undetected by your spouse, plus the cheapest diet you can eat in order to save extra money for cards. A full blown sneaky card collecting program. I've eaten the same cheap meals for the past 6 years. I'm so sick of turkey sandwhiches. If my Joe Louis card collection is ever complete, the first thing I'm going to do is have the $20.00 steak I've fantasized about for the past 6 years. If Joe Louis only knew the sacrifices I make for him.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

I was very disappointed in it. The whole thing felt staged and fake. Like a movie, but with really bad acting.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just watched the preview and read the comments here. That was enough for me.