Home Q & A Forum
Options

Possible 2005 Kansas State Quarter error?

Im not 100% sure but this shows very interesting signs of a fragment struck coin? I'm not sure thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all damage.

Sorry

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strictly post-mint damage.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

How did the edge stay so perfect?

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edge doesn't look perfect on either side.

It received a couple of sharp encounters with something hard and damage will be uneven.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

But it is even? The big chip on the bison side of the quarter is right where the U and N in United has been smashed flat. Second the roll on the edge its still there how would that have stayed if it had been damaged wouldent said area all be removed had it been files or smashed or anything like that?? Thats what I don't understand

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 4:20PM

@Icy1364 said:
    How did the edge stay so perfect?

It is not perfect!

Do an experiment for yourself. See how easy it is to make one of these damaged coins and make the edge "even" as yours.

• Options

The edge like the little lip on the edge is still raised that's what I'm getting at i couldn't recreate this if I tried.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could that damage possibly have occurred during strikingly?

The bulges on the obverse correspond to the indentations on the reverse. That is what happens when you strike a coin with some sort of tool.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage.

Experiment yourself.

Get a vise to hold the coin. Get a hammer and screw driver.

Wack away and observe the coin after the fun. Note how the wack on one-side affects the other.

Have fun.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you can't explain how the damage occurred, don't assume it must be an error. There are countless ways for a coin to become damaged after it leaves the mint. You need to explain how it could happen at the mint. The minting and die making processes are well documented and understood.

You received answers from some people who are experts on the minting process. It's like having a theoretical physics professor from MIT helping you with your high school algebra homework. They told you it could not have occurred at the mint.

You have a damaged coin, nothing more.

Member of the ANA since 1982