Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Got two orders back with mixed results

These first four I asked to just have slabbed as Authentic. The Gigantes is the second #58 in the Pop report but due to the placement on the sheets that they were distributed on this number sometimes is missing that bottom border. The Basket 16 #13 is just the second to make it into the Pop report,it came back ungraded as Miscut the first time i tried subbing it. The Chicle foils usually grade PSA 1-2 at best so I just went Authentic.

These next four I had asked PSA to grade with a number but if that wasn't possible then just slab Authentic. I think the grader just slabbed them AUTH to go along with the first four and it is probably why I got this order back so quick, I really just wanted these first eight slabbed no matter what. Each of these next four have a total of 3 or less in the Pop report.

The rest of the order went pretty much as expected. The 86 Fleer sticker was a BGS 6 at one point that I cracked then asked for no qualifiers because of the wax on back. The S.I. For Kids coming back an 8 was a surprise,i pulled that from a sheet that I broke down myself.

The Panini Supersport Italian was the final card I needed to cap off owning all three versions of this 1988 issue. The Tita back,total pop of 7 with none higher, was a recent purchase a couple months ago while the No Soccer player back,total pop of 10 with three higher, I had graded in 2017. The Lorenzo back has a total pop of 52 with just 6 higher.

This second order had some mixed results. The PSA 10 Total O and three of the PSA 9's were pretty much as expected,the 96(not 95) Scoring Kings was a cracked BGS 9.

The rest had me scratching my head with three cards each coming back with a dinged corner that wasn't there on the way out not to mention the Net Set that has a huge noticeable thumb print that also wasn't there. I don't know if these four issues are why these four didn't grade Mint or if this all happened after grading.

These last two got hit hard for some reason when both look great. None of the "flaps" on the Beam Team had creases which is a problem with this die-cut and the Apparitions had no chipping at all on the back corners or edges.

I also had two cards come back N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT but both measured 2.5" x 3.5" when I got them back so that was also confusing. Overall I was happy to get all of the foreign issues in the first order slabbed but that second order was a disappointment with a 3rd of the cards coming back with minor defects that weren't there when i shipped them.

Comments

• BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the disappointing issues but those are some nice looking cards and a few are ones I have never seen before. Thanks for sharing.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving the foreign issues, thanks for sharing!!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

love the Jordans...you got some decent grades on many of them, and love those rare foreign cards...I'm going to be submitting 100 or so of various base Jordans as well as a good number of hard to come by inserts in the near future (including a decent number of Metal Universe issues)...

As for your Beam Team, do you think the 7 grade is due to the centering of the gold lines coming down from the top and bottom of the card? Quite a bit more space to the right of the furthest right gold line, while only a little space to the left of the furthest left line...maybe that combined with the small ding to the lower left corner was their reasoning for putting it into a PSA 7 holder....that was the first thing that I thought of when looking at your card, but I can't say that I have ever graded any of that issue, so I'm just throwing it out there...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing Jordans. I have never seen some of those. Great art for the Jordan museum.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Those are some really nice cards.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Erik, some beautiful stuff there! I love seeing your collection, especially the Spanish issues, I think 1989 Chicle is one of my favorite sets of the era, I gave up on getting them graded for my collection but they really do look great in the slab.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really nice MJs - hadn’t seem many of those before. Congrats!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kep13 said:
    love the Jordans...you got some decent grades on many of them, and love those rare foreign cards...I'm going to be submitting 100 or so of various base Jordans as well as a good number of hard to come by inserts in the near future (including a decent number of Metal Universe issues)...

As for your Beam Team, do you think the 7 grade is due to the centering of the gold lines coming down from the top and bottom of the card? Quite a bit more space to the right of the furthest right gold line, while only a little space to the left of the furthest left line...maybe that combined with the small ding to the lower left corner was their reasoning for putting it into a PSA 7 holder....that was the first thing that I thought of when looking at your card, but I can't say that I have ever graded any of that issue, so I'm just throwing it out there...

Good luck with that bulk order especially those MU's. I thought the Beam Team & Meltdown were two that might get dropped for the centering and that could be the reason why it got a 7. I actually compared both to quite a few graded copies before I had purchased them and I found other 9's that had similar centering. That lower left corner looks worse in the pic than it actually is,it has just the slightest touch of white. I get that that card is a bit complicated though with all the die-cut flaps and everything going on in the design compared to most other cards that just have a standard border. I was more disappointed in the Meltdown's bottom left corner getting dinged at some point during it's journey. I upgraded that card twice to that one that was a bit off-center but had almost zero chipping on the corners & edges which typically haunt those Skybox foil inserts from that year.

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Erik, some beautiful stuff there! I love seeing your collection, especially the Spanish issues, I think 1989 Chicle is one of my favorite sets of the era, I gave up on getting them graded for my collection but they really do look great in the slab.

Thanks Abe. I'm actually getting close to finishing off his run of graded 80's Spanish issues. I've got two more at PSA now then IIRC I just have his blue & red 85-86 Merchante Campeonato's, his three 89 Panini stickers,his 88 Fournier sticker and these 6 88 Basket 16's that form his face. I took this pic from an ebay listing,those might be tough though because I'm pretty sure the few that I've seen pop up for sale over the past two years were probably all removed from the sticker album and were without the original backs.

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 7:40AM

@erikthredd said:

These last two got hit hard for some reason when both look great. None of the "flaps" on the Beam Team had creases which is a problem with this die-cut and the Apparitions had no chipping at all on the back corners or edges.

Left corner is soft and right side above the corner about 1/4 inch to the left has chipping of the foil.
    Can't tell how good the surface pops but seems dull ( could be your scanner) but surface usually pops at you
    Basing on what I see on the front its appropriately graded

I've gotten a few cards back with thumbprints myself. Only way that happens is if lunch isn't cleaned off properly in someones hands and the "greasy" part of lunch winds up on the card. Just saying-- I've done it myself to my own stuff by not washing my hands after a greasy order of fries :#

Jeff

@jeffv96masters said:
    I've gotten a few cards back with thumbprints myself. Only way that happens is if lunch isn't cleaned off properly in someones hands and the "greasy" part of lunch winds up on the card. Just saying-- I've done it myself to my own stuff by not washing my hands after a greasy order of fries :#

Jeff

I wiped down every card before shipping using a microfiber eyeglass cloth. That pic I posted doesn't really show how noticeable that spot is in person.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

Thanks Abe. I'm actually getting close to finishing off his run of graded 80's Spanish issues. I've got two more at PSA now then IIRC I just have his blue & red 85-86 Merchante Campeonato's, his three 89 Panini stickers,his 88 Fournier sticker and these 6 88 Basket 16's that form his face. I took this pic from an ebay listing,those might be tough though because I'm pretty sure the few that I've seen pop up for sale over the past two years were probably all removed from the sticker album and were without the original backs.

Those Basket 16's are awesome. I do agree with you, finding those unsued will be tough. I actually love the way they look all together on the full album page, but for the sake of completing the PSA graded run I understand the desire to find them individually. You've definitely put together a really impressive collection!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

I wiped down every card before shipping using a microfiber eyeglass cloth. That pic I posted doesn't really show how noticeable that spot is in person.

Understood- the remark is me telling you the graders lunch "fingerprint" on your card is due to their not wiping their greasy hands before handling the card prior to slabbing.

Have yet to see a grading svc use appropriate handwear yet. Museums use non reactive gloves handling paper for a reason perhaps seeing PSA or BGS start the same would result in less "prints" ;)

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I brought up in another post a couple months back, asking how many people take photos of their cards before submitting...I have got some pretty nice and valuable cards come back with a corner nick or such that I know wasn't there when I submitted, cause I typically only submit stuff I think is no lower than a 9...not sure I am up to scanning/photo-ing 250+ cards, but maybe I will just do the big hitters...we have to have some kind of recourse if something happens to our cards while they are with PSA. They can obviously turn into $1000+ mistakes...

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    These first four I asked to just have slabbed as Authentic. The Gigantes is the second #58 in the Pop report but due to the placement on the sheets that they were distributed on this number sometimes is missing that bottom border. The Basket 16 #13 is just the second to make it into the Pop report,it came back ungraded as Miscut the first time i tried subbing it. The Chicle foils usually grade PSA 1-2 at best so I just went Authentic
    These next four I had asked PSA to grade with a number but if that wasn't possible then just slab Authentic. I think the grader just slabbed them AUTH to go along with the first four and it is probably why I got this order back so quick, I really just wanted these first eight slabbed no matter what. Each of these next four have a total of 3 or less in the Pop report.

The rest of the order went pretty much as expected. The 86 Fleer sticker was a BGS 6 at one point that I cracked then asked for no qualifiers because of the wax on back. The S.I. For Kids coming back an 8 was a surprise,i pulled that from a sheet that I broke down myself.

The Panini Supersport Italian was the final card I needed to cap off owning all three versions of this 1988 issue. The Tita back,total pop of 7 with none higher, was a recent purchase a couple months ago while the No Soccer player back,total pop of 10 with three higher, I had graded in 2017. The Lorenzo back has a total pop of 52 with just 6 higher.

This second order had some mixed results. The PSA 10 Total O and three of the PSA 9's were pretty much as expected,the 96(not 95) Scoring Kings was a cracked BGS 9.

The rest had me scratching my head with three cards each coming back with a dinged corner that wasn't there on the way out not to mention the Net Set that has a huge noticeable thumb print that also wasn't there. I don't know if these four issues are why these four didn't grade Mint or if this all happened after grading.

I also had two cards come back N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT but both measured 2.5" x 3.5" when I got them back so that was also confusing. Overall I was happy to get all of the foreign issues in the first order slabbed but that second order was a disappointment with a 3rd of the cards coming back with minor defects that weren't there when i shipped them.

The 86 Jordan Sticker looks much nicer, did you try and remove the wax?

It’s hard to see newer cards come back in the 8-9 range when it’s tough to detect what’s wrong. At least yours are all Jordan’s, which are popular in most grades. I am waiting on a bulk submission with a lot of newer cards. If the majority come back in the 8-9 range, it will be my last submission for newer cards in the $20-$40 range.

Will share some when they arrive.

@PatsGuy5000 No I didn't try to remove the wax. I've had that card for a very long time and I'm ok with it as is. Good luck with your sub!

• Love this thread that shows some very nice, Erik. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Had the grades pop for my last 2 cards at PSA:
    1 43868298 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1987 Gigantes de La NBA 32 Michael Jordan just the third graded with none higher
    2 43868299 EXCELLENT 5 1987 Gigantes de La NBA 33 Michael Jordan just the second graded with none higher

@erikthredd said:
    Had the grades pop for my last 2 cards at PSA:
    1 43868298 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1987 Gigantes de La NBA 32 Michael Jordan just the third graded with none higher
    2 43868299 EXCELLENT 5 1987 Gigantes de La NBA 33 Michael Jordan just the second graded with none higher

These two finally made the return trip home. The stickers are both slightly larger than standard cards at 3 1/8" x 4 3/4" and that #33 has to be one of my favorite on card images of Mj.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Erik, Very cool Jordan’s. Do you know why PSA will not grade the Super Canasta that looks like the 1986 SI sticker?

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

those gigantes are inherently cool Eric. i especially love some of the shots.........like #35 where MJ is drilling Charles Oakley in the face while being simultaneously massaged in the crotch region

btw if anyone can tell me who #31 of the Bulls is without cheating, i'll be extremely impressed. slight hint: he was in his 20's at the time, but i remember him looking like he was 50

Stephen, the aged description makes me think Bill Cartwright, but I have no idea if that’s who you mean.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@BPorter26 said:
    Erik, Very cool Jordan’s. Do you know why PSA will not grade the Super Canasta that looks like the 1986 SI sticker?

It's funny that you mention that Super Canasta sticker,I was cleaning out a few desk drawers that had a ton of old card savers just the other day and this was one of the leftovers laying around. IIRC I tried subbing one in 2017 and this is what I got back. I sold the sticker thinking that if PSA does decide to grade these at some point,there's enough of these that pop-up to replace it. This site had the only checklist that I could find. http://www.geocities.ws/copfert/Checklists/indextemp.htm

@galaxy27 said:
    those gigantes are inherently cool Eric. i especially love some of the shots.........like #35 where MJ is drilling Charles Oakley in the face while being simultaneously massaged in the crotch region

btw if anyone can tell me who #31 of the Bulls is without cheating, i'll be extremely impressed. slight hint: he was in his 20's at the time, but i remember him looking like he was 50

I had no clue who that was and after cheating & looking it up I can honestly say I don't even remember his name.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Shows real dedication to what you want to collect.

PackManInNC
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 2:57PM

@DBesse27 said:

Stephen, the aged description makes me think Bill Cartwright, but I have no idea if that’s who you mean.

good guess Daniel, but he was just prior to Cartwright's tenure with the Bulls. i was quite the nba nerd back in the 80s and a monstrous Bulls fan, but all of that aside, it was simply impossible to forget Granville Waiters. i mean, check this dude out during his Ohio St days looking like Luda's old man

didn't mean to sabotage Eric. i thoroughly enjoyed all of your fresh poppage. i'm just weird when it comes to cardboard.........i'm always looking to see who else was in the photo, and you brought that idiosyncrasy out.😎 like your Star reprint, for instance. every time i look at this card, i can't help but miss Quintin Dailey (RIP). he was a good, but very troubled, player.

@galaxy27 Cartwright was my first thought too but I remembered that the Knicks sent him to the Bulls for Oakley so it couldn't be him. I did a google search to see if Waiters had any Bulls cards and it was just the one from the 1987 Bulls Entanmann's set (along with a couple Pacers Star cards). I had the MJ from that set in my first order up top here but that was a single purchase not the set.

I’m dying at how old he looked in college, and especially the facial similarities to Luda! LMFAO!!

Yaz Master Set