Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Bowman Jeter or 2011 Bowman Chrome Trout?

I'm torn between the two. Right now I can't afford both but I'm going back and forth about these two cards. Jeter has already cemented his legacy and going into the HOF. Then I see the potential still to be had with the Chrome Trout and seems like everyone loves this card. I have a few other Jeters and this is the next one I'm considering. I also have a few Trouts but not the Chrome. Looking at PSA 10. I know if I get one of these I won't be able to get the other for a looong time. Which would you go for and why?

Comments

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

well there is a difference in price between the both. for sure jeter is going to make the hall of fame with no problems. trout is on his way but who knows what the future holds. I am currently looking at trying to get a stadium club psa ten for jeter for me. I have a psa 8.5 sp jeter but would like to own a ten graded jeter. the bowman would be great but I do not think I can afford a ten. so the stadium club would be in my price range for a ten. I would get a psa 9 trout bowman chrome just as nice as a ten for a lot less.

• Options
    amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

The Stadium Club PSA 10 is one of my favorites. Glad I picked it up along time ago.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 6:27PM

I’ll take option C, “nothing modern Bowman,” please.

Edit to explain: nothing against modern cards, which I collect, or 50s Bowman, which I collect too. Just hate Bowman the last 20 years or so.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go Trout. Jeter rookies in PSA 10 have blown up recently. Not sure if itll keep going higher, and if it will come back down at some point after induction. Trout is going up, but I think his rookies will continue to go up for years and I dont see them coming down any time soon.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Get the Trout chrome #175 red shirt not the #101
    Yankee fan and love Jeter and I have a few of his cards and most of his Topps.
    Trout is our generations version of Mickey Mantle. His career is only 1/2 done at best.
    Again he is having an MVP year.
    There doesn't seem to be any limit on his cards going upwards.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    TopnotchsyTopnotchsy Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 7:19PM

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Jeter is about to be unanimously elected.
    Trout is 6 near-mvp type years away from being in a hall of fame conversation.

I vote Jeter now. Trout in the future.

And remember that every year there will be another guy. Right now there is a kid entering 11th grade that we are going to be drooling over in 4 years.

Trout is a Hall of Famer the day he plays the first game of his 10th season, and he would be a Hall of Famer today if there wasn't a rule requiring a minimum of 10 seasons.

Jeter will almost undoubtedly not be unanimous. Unlike Mariano, who was considered the best at his position and universally admired, there are plenty of writers who don't love Jeter or think he is overrated.

To the OP, personally, when it comes to the 2 player's cards, I would stay away from both. Jeter's stuff has blown up over the last year or so and it is unclear if that can be sustained. Trout has gone up like crazy in the last couple of seasons. And while that has mirrored historically good play on the field, the careers of guys like Griffey, Pujols and others are a reminder that once a player passes his peak, it can be years before his values recover. Hopefully Trout is years away from that, but the prices are extremely high now.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saying Trout is 6 near MVP type years away from being in a HOF conversation is laughable.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Are you saying it takes about 14 near MVP years just for Hall consideration? If so, there wouldnt even be 50 players total in your Hall.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 12:20PM

If you aren’t sure where Mike Trout stands versus HOFers already, ESPN updates its tracker monthly, link below.

Spoiler: he’s gonna get in

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27018291/mike-trout-tracker-june-edition-now-better-tony-gwynn-seven-more-hall-famers

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

If Trout pulls up lame tomorrow it would introduce controversy about whether the ten year rule should be waived. That’s a fascinating discussion.

But absent PED use, gambling, spousal abuse or some other unknown overriding factor, Trout is in the hall if he lasts ten even if he falls off a cliff statistically between now and then.

If you go down the “no championships” route, there is plenty on precedent for that. Forget Harold Baines. Should Ernie banks not be in the Hall?

And on the Grady Sizemore comparison, I mean, you’re just trolling, right?

I realize this is off the topics of if his cards are overpriced. They likely are. But as far as Trout still having work to do, that’s just silly.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 6:05PM

I would go with Trout if I had to choose. I'm "hooked" on watching him play. The way he "reels" a pitch in and smashes it over the fence. It's like he's "baiting" a pitcher to throw him the perfect pitch. His abilty to run a ball down in the outfield for the "catch". I bet if a rude fan ran onto the field, Trout would "tackle" him and hold him until security got there.

ETA: Yes, I'm bored. I would choose the Trout though. Phenomenol player.