Home Sports Talk
Options

You can't win a golf tournament on the first day...but you can lose it.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger 7 over.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 2:40PM

Rory 8 over (he actually lost it on his first hole and was the 2nd favorite)
    Duval 20 over (he was done after 7)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

imagine what Tiger's world would be like right now had he not won the masters earlier this year. the cacophony would be all of the voices telling him to hang it up. from a personal perspective, i love this incarnation. but from a purely sport angle, i'm starting to question how much he has left in the proverbial tank. we all know about his physical ailments, but have you heard him speak lately? the guy's tournament was done two days prior to the first tee shot. and have you watched his demeanor on the course? there is next to no fire now; the complacency is palpable and shocking.

a part of me thinks he accomplished what he set out to do, which is prove to himself and everyone else that he could reach the zenith from the nadir. after all, winning the tour championship and masters in a span of less than 12 months is something that 99.5% of tour pros will never accomplish.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am hoping Speith gets back on track.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Am hoping Speith gets back on track.

.#MeToo

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

And what a 7th hole it was - a nonuple bogey (14 on a par 5). Wow!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@LarkinCollector said:

And one on one, any off us would have won that hole.

• Options

Duval's 7th made Van de Velde's 72nd look mundane

he hit several shots with the wrong freaking ball

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@LarkinCollector said:

WOW......a 14! Was water involved?? I took a 10 once...…...I just couldn't stay out of the water! :o

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    WOW......a 14! Was water involved?? I took a 10 once...…...I just couldn't stay out of the water! :o

I assume there was water involved, but the PGA app doesn't do the shot-by-shot rundown at the majors, and the Open app is a piece of crap.

And I, too, have hit double digits when the water got me, but never a 14.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2019 7:13PM

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I assume there was water involved, but the PGA app doesn't do the shot-by-shot rundown at the majors, and the Open app is a piece of crap.

And I, too, have hit double digits when the water got me, but never a 14.

Here's the crazy part, no water. Four tee shots and a two-stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball (he played his first provisional after hitting his second provisional): https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/18/david-duval-the-open-championship-royal-portrush-14/

@Coinstartled said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LarkinCollector said:

And one on one, any off us would have won that hole.

With only using one club out of my bag the entire hole, opponents choice.

• Options

Club, hell...you could kick the ball and come in at under 14.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    imagine what Tiger's world would be like right now had he not won the masters earlier this year. the cacophony would be all of the voices telling him to hang it up. from a personal perspective, i love this incarnation. but from a purely sport angle, i'm starting to question how much he has left in the proverbial tank. we all know about his physical ailments, but have you heard him speak lately? the guy's tournament was done two days prior to the first tee shot. and have you watched his demeanor on the course? there is next to no fire now; the complacency is palpable and shocking.

a part of me thinks he accomplished what he set out to do, which is prove to himself and everyone else that he could reach the zenith from the nadir. after all, winning the tour championship and masters in a span of less than 12 months is something that 99.5% of tour pros will never accomplish.

You make some good, interesting points.

Tiger worked himself back towards that win, and what an amazing win it was.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a teenager, well before ever playing an 18 hole course, I had been on a driving range numerous times, and practiced my ground game in my parents backyard with those plastic golf balls, so I was ready to play half-decent golf my first time out.

The highest score hole i can recall was a 9. I forget if it was a par 4 or 5. But if there is life on Mars, they would have heard my expletives. :D

Of course I did take a mulligan every now and then. ;)

• Options

Good thing about being Phil is that no one cares that he is 8 over.

• Options

Tiger had a good round going, but needed to birdie the last 3 to make the cut. Looks like he gave up after parring 16.

Spieth and DJ had great rounds.

Duval +6 through 6 w/another triple bogey in there, he's on 7 again now :D

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Club, hell...you could kick the ball and come in at under 14.

Nah, I tried footgolf once (with a soccer ball), pulled a hammy on the third or fourth hole and quit after 6.

• Options

Valiant effort by Rory, but looks like he's going to fall one shy of the cut after a -6 round today.

• Options

looking at those who are within 5 shots of the lead heading into the weekend, this is my claret jug-hoisting wish list (in descending order):

Spieth
    Fowler
    Westwood
    Fleetwood
    Finau
    Kuchar
    Rose

• Options

First two are fine, but I'm going wholesome all American on my wish list:

Spieth
    Fowler
    DJ
    Xander
    Kuch
    Finau

Can't have an English guy win in Northern Ireland, so I guess Lowry is my backup/non-American wish to take one down for the home crowd.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    If Kuch wins is he even tippin' the locker room attendant?

Why would he? I doubt he'll still be playing in 56 years.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is Tiger done winning majors? What's the consensus here? Personally, I don't think he's completely done.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    So, is Tiger done winning majors? What's the consensus here? Personally, I don't think he's completely done.

He was done winning majors 11 years ago. Lightening struck and he pulled out a Masters win.

My guess is that he takes one more.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger, or as I like to call him,"Dad", still has some years left in the bag. I wouldn't count dad out yet.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

We can only hope!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Recently I read in Golf magazine an interview with Jack. He felt Tiger had 10 more years in him to win majors. Don't know if Jack really believes this or was just being diplomatic.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@doubledragon said:

Recently I read in Golf magazine an interview with Jack. He felt Tiger had 10 more years in him to win majors. Don't know if Jack really believes this or was just being diplomatic.

Jack (GOAT) was just being nice.

• Options

Shane Lowry looks invincible at 16 under with a 4 stroke advantage.

• Options

Two Brits are 1 and 2 and interest fades.

:/

• Options

Congratulations to the local fellow.