Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Clean Up Your Inventory!

The situation: I have nine coins I just took delivery on and went to add them to my sets. Seven out of Nine rejected because of previous member ownership. Please clean up your inventory if you sold items. Here I sit waiting two days so far to add these coins. Not a happy camper. J.Perot

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you send the message that this prompted? It usually only takes a day. People just forget.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, those sellers are doing you a solid. By keeping those coins registered it prevents other less scrupulous collectors from stealing the insert numbers and entering them into bogus sets. Really, the way the registry is set up all you have to do is to click the box and an instant email is sent when you go to register your new winnings all via PCGS.
    Instead of berating you should be thanking.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Actually, those sellers are doing you a solid. By keeping those coins registered it prevents other less scrupulous collectors from stealing the insert numbers and entering them into bogus sets. Really, the way the registry is set up all you have to do is to click the box and an instant email is sent when you go to register your new winnings all via PCGS.
    Instead of berating you should be thanking.

It doesn't work that way about 75% of the time. The last 10 coins I bought that the seller never deleted out of their inventory, maybe 3 got that stupid Email, deleted the coin and I was able to add the next day. The other 7 I had to send multiple Emails with no results only to have to take pictures and send to PCGS. Had to do it about 2 weeks ago. It's quite frustrating.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That would be annoying. Sorry. I've added coins over the years and have never once suffered the same punishment you have. Always able to add the next morning and move along with my day.

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

It has happened many times to me. It's is a pain to have to take the photos, send them to PCGS, then wait because the previous owners will not release them. Yet then, I was one of those owners once too!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my acquisitions are from either Heritage, Great Collections, Legend, or David Lawrence. About a third of the time the prior owner has not released the coin, so I check the box for having that automatic PCGS letter sent. After then waiting three BUSINESS days, only about 10%-15% of the time will the prior owner release it, so yes, then I have to email PCGS photos of the front and back of the coin. To make it easier, I use the auction site photos if available. PCGS typically then does a real good job of acting within a day or two.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

My hit rate is about 25%. Lately I've been frequenting the Great Collections weekly auctions and have settled in a process. Once I win a coin as the auction ends on Sunday night, I try to add it to my inventory. If I get the dreaded notice, the email gets sent that night. Shipping usually takes till Thursday, so the 3 business days are up. I try to resubmit that morning and if still no good, as soon as the package arrives I snap a few pics and fire off the email. PCGS usually sorts it out in 24 hours.

• Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭

Many coins are owned by older collectors who may be ill or unable to jump when you say jump, due to the fact the coins may be in the safety deposit box at their bank. It should be the other way around. If you have a coin in hand that you need to add then go ahead and send a photo and let PCGS delete the safety deposit coin which can be dealt with by the owner when able to. I have been asked to delete coins from my inventory many times and at least half the time the person requesting it has submitted a wrong cert number.

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kozman said:
    Many coins are owned by older collectors who may be ill or unable to jump when you say jump, due to the fact the coins may be in the safety deposit box at their bank. It should be the other way around. If you have a coin in hand that you need to add then go ahead and send a photo and let PCGS delete the safety deposit coin which can be dealt with by the owner when able to. I have been asked to delete coins from my inventory many times and at least half the time the person requesting it has submitted a wrong cert number.

I disagree, if you pull out a coin and send it to an auction house - remove it from your inventory - period. Other mistakes happen, the OP is using the example that they just bought a coin and have it in hand.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought 4 dimes cheap and the seller won't respond at all. I got the 4 dimes really quick, but the seller won't release the cert #'s, won't answer my Emails through eBay, wouldn't combine shipping. Some peole just don't care. I've sent 8 Emails through the PCGS regisrty release and that is a total waste of time.

PCGS needs to find some way to punish those who regularly abuse the system by selling coins and not the cert #'s, as it makes it really difficult for those who play by the rules.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2019 5:20PM

@Stooge said:
    I just bought 4 dimes cheap and the seller won't respond at all. I got the 4 dimes really quick, but the seller won't release the cert #'s, won't answer my Emails through eBay, wouldn't combine shipping. Some peole just don't care. I've sent 8 Emails through the PCGS regisrty release and that is a total waste of time.

PCGS needs to find some way to punish those who regularly abuse the system by selling coins and not the cert #'s, as it makes it really difficult for those who play by the rules.

Paul if this wasn't a private sale....like say Ebay….the seller may not be the one tying up the coin. I am waiting on a couple myself to be released. One is a nicely toned 1975 Dime PCGS67!

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 1:40PM

Dealing with this issue now. Dime in hand. The seller didn't have the cert # tied up and he had this in his inventory for a little bit so this has been neglected for a little while by the one who sold to the seller or even further down the line.

First sent an email 48 hrs ago but lost patience and just sent it into the registry dept.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

I seem to be getting more and more of these. :s

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Thank you PCGS! They removed the coin from the previous owner in less than two hours after submitting to them.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set