Home U.S. Coin Forum

The So-Called Dollar Collectors' Club

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2019 9:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here a member of the So-Called Dollar Collectors' Club? Are they still around and, if so, are they worth joining?

The So-Called Dollar Collectors' Club issued at least 1 issue of their Journal in 2006 but I've never seen another issue. Anyone know how many issues were published?

E-Sylum has some info on this:

A copy if the first issue is currently being sold:

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be very interesting. More knowledge is always good to have especially if there is a club with good members. Did you buy one of these Journals? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

I don't believe that "club" is still existing; what does exist is an annual "So-Called Gathering" led by Jeff Shevlin that was a spin off from the original club idea; the SCD gathering has been alive and well for 7 years.... having been to almost all of the meetings as a collector; you would need to contact Jeff if you had an interest in going. As an aside, Jeff revised his website in the last year, but the discussion section is slow going relative to the high post tempo of this PCGS forum.

So-Called Dollar Collector
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    This would be very interesting. More knowledge is always good to have especially if there is a club with good members. Did you buy one of these Journals? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Agree it would be great to have more information and research on these. I didn't buy one as I've only found the first issue above and it is available online in PDF format which I much prefer:

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/wp-content/themes/scdollar/assets/pdf/55551_SoCalledBookletLOW.pdf

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 11:50PM

@Pioneer said:
    I don't believe that "club" is still existing; what does exist is an annual "So-Called Gathering" led by Jeff Shevlin that was a spin off from the original club idea; the SCD gathering has been alive and well for 7 years.... having been to almost all of the meetings as a collector; you would need to contact Jeff if you had an interest in going. As an aside, Jeff revised his website in the last year, but the discussion section is slow going relative to the high post tempo of this PCGS forum.

It does seem as if the club and journal are no more unfortunately but I'm still hopeful. I've done a bit of searching and couldn't find any more info.

I did post on Jeff's forum a while back. There are some advanced, knowledgeable collectors there but the post rate is fairly low.

It would be great to go to a gathering but I haven't had much time for discretionary travel lately.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again "You Da Man". PDF is fine for me too. The membership list is surprisingly large.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• THOMAS655THOMAS655 Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing this on Jeff Shevlin's website long ago. I believe that the Collector's Club that Jeff put together was started in late 2006. This was long before I was involved with the collection of these medals, but I recognized a lot of the names from the original membership listing. I do not think that this Club is still existing, but a lot of these people attend the So-Called Gatherings held yearly by Jeff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file