Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker, a boxing legend was hit by a vehicle Sunday in Virginia Beach and died from his injuries. I always enjoyed watching him fight. In 1984 he won an Olympic gold medal, and went on to become one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. Ring magazine named him 1989 fighter of the year. He won world championships in 4 different weight classes. Pernell was a master of defense and, HBO boxing announcer Jim Lampley said of him, " He could stand in front of you, and you couldn't find him". He was always very entertaining to watch. Max Kellerman said of him, " Pernell Whitaker was the best pound for pound fighter in the world for about half a decade, and one of the best pure boxers that ever lived." True boxing heads know what he meant to the sport. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2007. He was 55 years old.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 12:44PM

I enjoyed the show Pernell. Thanks.

• Options

He was one of the most slippery fighters ever. I love watching those types of fighters. Mayweather is slippery also.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

sad news when I heard this "sweet pea"

RIP

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

He was awesome, enjoyed watching him fight

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 5:00PM

Amazing fighter. I have such fond memories of those days. That was a great era in boxing. Anyone who remembers watching that Chavez fight live knows how big it was. Rip Sweet Pea.