Home Sports Talk
Options

2019...Greatest Wimbledon final in history?

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Todays Wimbledon final between Djokovic and Federer was the longest Wimbledon Final ever lasting 4 hrs and 57 minutes. The 13-12 fifth set lasted 2 hrs and 2 minutes. What a match. Tough loss for Federer considering he had 2 match points on his serve in the fifth set.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2019/07/14/novak-djokovic-vs-roger-federer-wimbledon-final-2019-live-score/?fbclid=IwAR2CIr8clNqT_H_b_cgJtqjbvqcwur8JhYmmq3Jy3gGWQDB5Y_KOP97oPF8

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Greatest I have seen, beats the less than an hour women’s final 😩

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed it. I spent the day at the in-laws. It felt like a 4hr and 57 minute match being over there.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea it was even on, even if I did I wouldn’t have given it a second thought but while I was in the grocery store the guy in front of me was talking to the checkout girl saying it was the best ever.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 5th set was ridiculous. I had to miss the tie break but saw sets 3-5, crazy long.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Federer is a Tennis machine, but father time is picking his pocket. Tennis is a young man's game. He has been a GREAT Champion.

• Options

Wimbledon is now covered by three networks during the two week event...NBC, ESPN, and Tennis Channel. Back in the old days it was only covered by NBC, and HBO.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Tennis is a young man's game.

Not right now at least. The top 3, and 8 of the top 12, are 29 or older.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 4:50PM

epic match. very few athletes on planet earth with more resilience than joker. if the dude's head was inside a grizzly bear's mouth he'd find a way to escape and survive. when federer had two match points on his racket and 15,000 fans behind him, i harkened back to this........and this.

for those who didn't see or don't remember these matches, yes, novak came back to win both as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTXRuOS0zss

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started watching in the 4th set. By the time the 5th set ended and they were going into the tie breaker, I had to leave the house. While I was in the grocery store, I decided to check and see who eventually won(close to an hour after leaving the house)...and it was not over!!! Ridiculous!

• Options

This was the first Wimbledon final i watched. July 4th, 1982 between two Americans. A five set thriller that lasted 4 hrs, 16 minutes. Up to that point, it was the longest Wimbledon final in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lApSrH3tWCk

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

NO....not the greatest. My reasoning is because Federer did not win when serving up 8-7 in the 5th set. He played better than Novak in every single area of the match except the tiebreakers. If I wasn't a big fan, I may say that in those moments the pressure wore on the older player. Almost always the better player wins in tennis; but not on that day. Just to add- Novak obviously has nerves of steel. Very historical match.