Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CoinFacts - why are Great Collections auction results not included?

breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I am missing something but they do not seem to be included. Shouldn't they be?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Comments

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

They should. Numerous people have asked PCGS to do this previously. Not sure why our host still hasn't woken up to this ordeal.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 4:26PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    They should. Numerous people have asked PCGS to do this previously. Not sure why our host still hasn't woken up to this ordeal.

Is the difficulty on the PCGS side or the GC side?

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure why they are not. I wonder if there a technical reason they are not yet. Great Collections is one of four auction companies that is featured on PCGS homepage as PCGS Auction Spotlight. The makes me think there is not a relationship problem. I wonder if Heather Boyd or Ian Russell will chime in. It is an interesting question that I have wondered about too.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen GC auction records in Coin Facts before. Check out the 1905 cameo "V" nickel for instance in PF67. There is an instance of a NGC coin listed there from GC. With that said, I do find from time to time that Coin Facts misses coins from the auction houses. Probably an API glitch.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 7:13PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    I have seen GC auction records in Coin Facts before. Check out the 1905 cameo "V" nickel for instance in PF67. There is an instance of a NGC coin listed there from GC. With that said, I do find from time to time that Coin Facts misses coins from the auction houses. Probably an API glitch.

Do we know how well the system works overall? With US coins it’s usually decent, but with world coins I’ve seen lots of glitches. For example, I was looking up a 1 oz Gold Libertad (Mexico) and every single result in coin facts was something else (either a fractional size or a silver version). It’s certainly a shock the first time you look and see that a gold oz sold for $25 (only to find out the linked sale was for silver-with Silver mentioned in the title of that linked sale).

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Do we know how well the system works overall? With US coins it’s usually decent, but with world coins I’ve seen lots of glitches. For example, I was looking up a 1 oz Gold Libertad (Mexico) and every single result in coin facts was something else (either a fractional size or a silver version). It’s certainly a shock the first time you look and see that a gold oz sold for $25 (only to find out the linked sale was for silver-with Silver mentioned in the title).

It happens enough that I always check behind Coin Facts before making a purchase and would not use it as my sole data source. I almost made a HUGE mistake on a rarely traded item relying on the most recent information listed in Coin Facts which was outdated.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@U1chicago said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Do we know how well the system works overall? With US coins it’s usually decent, but with world coins I’ve seen lots of glitches. For example, I was looking up a 1 oz Gold Libertad (Mexico) and every single result in coin facts was something else (either a fractional size or a silver version). It’s certainly a shock the first time you look and see that a gold oz sold for $25 (only to find out the linked sale was for silver-with Silver mentioned in the title).

It happens enough that I always check behind Coin Facts before making a purchase and would not use it as my sole data source. I almost made a HUGE mistake on a rarely traded item relying on the most recent information listed in Coin Facts which was outdated.

Same here; I use it as one of my research steps, but always also check other places manually.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2019 7:36PM

@fiftysevener said:
    I like NGC Coin Explorer to check auction results for Heritage, Stacks Bowers, David Lawrence, Great Collections etc. Not sure if you need paid membership or not.

I don't think so, but I would put it in the same category as Coin Facts. The programs are great to use for a quick search, but always use caution when using mining software. You can easily over pay or leave a lot of money on the table. Granted my comments are less true for coins that trade frequently within narrow ranges. Anything rare, low population, otherwise trades infrequently, is subject to sharp fluctuations in price (late date gold), or esoteric coins, etc., should be approached with caution.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

Im getting a bit sidetracked here so my apologies in advance, but I personally still believe it is a flaw for COINFACTS to include ebay sales, when it is the most manipulated thing out there. Consider - bad photos, pick up only shipping option, wrong titles, selling several graded coins in one sale, ebay bucks 10-13% back, seller having someone bid incredibly high just to have it on the cert and on coinfacts then to relist it again, tons of returns, 3 day sales, ending at random hours in the day and offering no refund option, sales that are in Canada/UK wherever and only ships to some countries excluding the u.s all of which would not occur on "normal auctions." This skew only serves to make the sales range shift widely and provide instability.

Having the "Hide eBay" sales only goes to prove that there is inefficiency and that it is flawed or else why provide the option to hide the ebay sales.

Most ebay sales will most of the time bring less than these auction houses comp, but many sellers don't mind because of the low fees, which only perpetuates the price trend to then go down. All I speak is typically for sub $5,000 coins.

Just some much needed constructive criticism for coinfacts ebay sale reporting unless ebay sales are properly regulated which for a third party marketplace cannot be.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 5:33AM

@ianrussell said:
    Sorry, this is my fault. I prefer people to visit the GreatCollections Auction Archive on our website rather than have third parties report it. We have over 600,000 records (and counting), automatically added to as auctions end each week.

There are some old records that we've released - and might again in the future, but all recent results will only be available on our website.

Regards,

• Ian

Totally agree with @Zoins comments regarding including your auction results on CoinFacts to lead people to GC. Furthermore, whether you like it or not, I find your auction results reporting tool to be quite clunky and hard to navigate.

EDIT: Adding a Search by PCGS Index Number would help. Heritage Auctions also has that on their website (for their coins only, obviously).

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@ianrussell said:
    Sorry, this is my fault. I prefer people to visit the GreatCollections Auction Archive on our website rather than have third parties report it. We have over 600,000 records (and counting), automatically added to as auctions end each week.

There are some old records that we've released - and might again in the future, but all recent results will only be available on our website.

Regards,

• Ian

Totally agree with @Zoins comments regarding including your auction results on CoinFacts to lead people to GC. Furthermore, whether you like it or not, I find your auction results reporting tool to be quite clunky and hard to navigate.

EDIT: Adding a Search by PCGS Index Number would help. Heritage Auctions also has that on their website (for their coins only, obviously).

Kind regards,

George

If you go to our Auction Archive, click on the small magnifying glass next to "U.S. Coin Prices". You can enter the PCGS # there.

Regards,

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ianrussell said:

Regards,

• Ian

Thanks for the post and explaining your reasoning Ian. I had a feeling this was more on the GC side than the PCGS side. Building up a following for GC is a good business rationale, but you may be surprised by the traffic you get by including listings on PCGS. When I see auctions from Heritage on PCGS, I click through a lot and I spend a lot of time searching Heritage directly. I don't spend a lot of time on GC now but if it started showing up in PCGS Cert Verification a lot, I would spend more time there.

Agreed, there's advantages both ways.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I would ask @ianrussell to reconsider. I see his point, but I check CoinFacts at least 10 times a week, and I use the archive search on GC maybe once a month or less. The fact that the data isn’t there actually discourages me from visiting GC more often. All of the other important auction house data is there.

If the trade off is lower buyers fees....... well, DON’T CHANGE THAT!

• Options

@ianrussell said:

If you go to our Auction Archive, click on the small magnifying glass next to "U.S. Coin Prices". You can enter the PCGS # there.

Regards,

• Ian

Well, who could miss that?

• Options

I wasn't being facetious at all. Sarcastic? Yes. Nonetheless, the page above could stand some major improvements.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 10:29AM

@giorgio11 said:
    I wasn't being facetious at all. Sarcastic? Yes. Nonetheless, the page above could stand some major improvements.

I stand corrected, so you made my point for me, better than I did.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 100% fine with GC steering the ship the way they see fit.
    They want to control their archives for now, great.
    At some point they want to release some more info, great as well.

Going to their archive is an easy part of doing my research.

CoinFacts lists what, the most recent 5 auctions?
    So then you need to go the the Auction Archive site where all the auctions are mashed chronologically.
    Filter, filter, filter......Oh, there's what I'm, looking for....sort of....is it toned?
    Click on the auction....sign in to the auction company.....Oh, it was apart of a group lot... Dang!
    Start over.

I find GC's search to be super efficient.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Great Ian, thanks for taking some feedback that I actually, in my own way, mean as constructive. But long-term I do still feel you should post your auction prices on CoinFacts alongside those of Heritage, Stack's, Goldberg etc. Good luck.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not recall which coins I was looking up on CoinFacts some time ago, but I did see some GreatCollections auction results, noted as GC!

• Options

@ianrussell said:

Regards,

• Ian

Please keep it that way. :)

Brian Hodge
    Partner, President of Numismatics
    Minshull Trading

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Russell, until GC is a Heritage-level household name, I think there is probably a lot of value of being included in coinfacts. You’re reminding everyone who visits that you’re open for business and getting good prices, which is very important. While they’re researching sold items, they may stay and take a look at current items as well. Hard to believe you would not see some sort of boost.
    The hardcore among us will still search each sites archives occasionally (hell I even look at DNW archives) but you risk being passed over by more casual collectors.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    Mr Russell, until GC is a Heritage-level household name, I think there is probably a lot of value of being included in coinfacts.

P.S. At this point, I think most serious collectors and dealers already know about GC.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find myself using the historical auction links that appear in the cert verification very frequently.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Great Collections as a buyer and a seller because Ian is a stand up guy and is always willing to come on here and explain himself without taking things personally or acting holier than thou. He is also a phone call away if I have questions and is always a friendly face at the large shows. These qualities mean a lot to me when I trust someone to buy and sell my coins.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is some coordination, as I get emails from PCGS showing GC items that would improve my registry set.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion is that including GC auction prices in CoinFacts would benefit GC as it would show that it is getting solid prices despite being a different model than Heritage or StacksBowers or even Legend.
    Ian has always been friendly, straightforward, easy to work with and willing to listen to ideas. It may just be a matter of too much of a headache to make the auction results available to CoinFacts and if so, I can't blame him. If it is as easy as granting
    PCGS permission to link to the GC results, then I think it makes sense.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that GC's continued success has much to do with the fact they DO NOT post their archive information.

I too hope they continue to follow in this path.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 9:30PM

@ianrussell

Thanks for your explanation, but I hope you will reconsider this decision down the road. I’d love to see your auction results within Coinfacts. In the meantime, keep up the great work at GC. Love your website...it’s a much needed numismatic auction alternative.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2019 2:00AM

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon Man. You folks complain when PCGS does not have the price guide updated - Now your not satisfied even though you can go to the auction house who sold the coin and get the info your looking for ?

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2019 4:58AM

I guess one of the most useful aspects of CoinFacts is to be able to compare prices for a given issue that different companies have achieved. Even though that's certainly an imperfect tool, it does help potential consignors make decisions about where they might want to—or might not want to—consign their coins. The necessity of having to go to several companies' differing websites to find the prices achieved for a single issue or group of issues obviously negates that ability.

Nonetheless, Ian has made his position clear and I certainly respect his right not to aggregate his prices with those of other companies (even if I don't completely understand it).

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

seems to me Ian's business instinct has been pretty good so far growing GC. When you live, eat and breathe your auction website 24/7, my hunch is you generally know what is best for your site (especially when you have a proven track record of success).

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 8:09AM

Ian is a top flight professional and does a super job and I buy from GC on a regular basis as they are a fantastic auction venue with premium quality material. GC would be my auction house of choice in any auction submission especially with their raw coin service (I buy collections / estates). I can easily bid on GC from my phone.

As I use CDN (bid and CPG) and blue book as reference points in deciding on my bids, auction history is not something I necessarily use. I do refer to CF sometimes for pop or MV (Sell). data. Another reference is the NGC World Gold Type values. I also use the PCGS auction tool.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2019 8:59AM

@ianrussell said:

Regards,

• Ian

Well, who could miss that?

I actually didn't think many people use that feature. We'll make it more obvious and static. Will be updated.

Thanks,

• Ian

@ianrussell I see you have made the "Industry Search" box far more prominent on your site. Thanks for that and good job.

Kind regards,

George

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file