Home Autographs Forum

HARPER LEE SIGNED FIRST DAY OF SHOOTING CALL SHEET "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD"

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed "To Ollie with love, Nelle Harper Lee". Oliver "Ollie" Emert was the set designer for the movie and won the 1963 Academy Award for his work on "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already hate you for the other Harper Lee stuff you have posted :p .

I tried halfheartedly to get her years ago. I was collecting autographed books and I would write to people in advance to ask if it was OK to send a book. I never heard back from her.

I should have sent other stuff for her to sign in the meantime. :/

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first wrote her in 1990. I enclosed a self-addressed postage paid postcard and asked if I could send a book. She wrote a very nice note on the postcard and said she gets too many requests and therefore doesn't sign books and added that she hoped the signed postcard would suffice for the autograph. Several months later I took a chance and mailed her two copies and asked if she would personalize them to my son and daughter. She graciously signed both books "Best Wishes to .......".

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reply is more than I got (I always included a SASE or postcard)!

Once I did the same thing for author John Hersey. He replied and said that his health had taken a turn for the worse and have to take a raincheck. He passed away two weeks later. :'(

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...you're so lucky that you wrote when you did. It's a great hobby.