Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Two Shillings Colonial - New York Water Works

Good evening, was looking to obtain some information regarding the below Colonial note. I am not very versed in these type of currencies, so I was hoping to first confirm that the note even looks authentic? If so, would it be worth grading? Also, would love to get some history on these notes, as well as a guestimate in value?

Thanks very much!

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real, nice note.

I found a similar one (different denomination) that sold at some point for $120.

• lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Thanks very much @jbk

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Illustration on back is a water pump.

The 1774-76 "Water Works" issue was used to finance New York's first public water system. There are four different dates and four different denominations for each date.

I would also put the value of this one in the $100-$125 range. Most do come a bit better and are worth more. Many uncirculated notes survive and they will bring $250-$500.

https://currency.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ns=Time|1||Lot+No|0&N=56+790+231+1182+2634&Ntt=water+works&ic4=SortBy-071515

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Thank you very much @sellitstore - i appreciate all of the fantastic info!!!!!!!!!!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW the printer of the note was Hugh Gaine, curiously he remained a Tory(loyal to Britain) later on during the Revolution whence he thought the British were going to win. Despite the British loss he stayed in New York and continued his business until his death in 1807.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21