Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crazy bidding going on!

2»

Comments

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Oh my. And that was neither the record or the finest known. $66,000 was set by Heritage back in April on another of the 13 graded MS67 RD's. One could only imagine what the sole MS67+ is going to bring when it ever crosses the auction

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ebeneezer said:
    Oh my. And that was neither the record or the finest known. $66,000 was set by Heritage back in April on another of the 13 graded MS67 RD's. One could only imagine what the sole MS67+ is going to bring when it ever crosses the auction

This was the sale in April.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, amazing

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@Brian_Hodge said:
    The power of the registry and to be #1 cannot be understated. At a certain point of wealth money merely becomes a means for fun.

...overstated...........

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

Add a new MS68RD to the population.

1902 MS68RD

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy is right. In fact, it's bordering on stupid. But thats coming from a poor guy.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just amazing.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably get attacked, and admit I am looking only at the picture of the "new" MS68 Indy there.Certainly a nice strike with very few marks, BUT IMHO, and based only on the pictures, the coin looks to have been lightly stripped and then retoned carefully. I have seen whole runs of cents that appear that way, all nicely slabbed.
    Just for the fun of it when bored on long winter days with nought else to do, I used to play with less valuable and lower mint state early 20th C. copper and noted similar results.
    Hard to prove one way or another, but just my opinion.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haaaaaaaaanseeeeeeeeen

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the link, I don't see a photo of the 68. The highest one in the images is a 67+.
    I do see the pop report includes a 68.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

If we had the holder number there might be a true view

• Options

They may post an image, but since it was graded at the show, it may not have been imaged. The old true view was posted earlier in this thread. The coin had some areas of strike-though. Mostly on the denticles and feather tips. Some might say weak strike, but that’s not really correct. A debris strike-though prevents the metal to flow into all the crevasse of the die. That was the only thing that I thought would stop it from going a bit higher.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would be nice to be the seller.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@EagleEye said:
    They may post an image, but since it was graded at the show, it may not have been imaged. The old true view was posted earlier in this thread. The coin had some areas of strike-though. Mostly on the denticles and feather tips. Some might say weak strike, but that’s not really correct. A debris strike-though prevents the metal to flow into all the crevasse of the die. That was the only thing that I thought would stop it from going a bit higher.

You say "the old true view was posted earlier in this thread"

The only true view I see is the $66k ms67. Are you saying it was up graded ?

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@EagleEye said:

You say "the old true view was posted earlier in this thread"

The only true view I see is the $66k ms67. Are you saying it was up graded ?

That is what this thread is about.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of a mintage of over 87 Million, you'd get at least one 68. 'Bout time!! :D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL. One thing for sure...there will be a few more in ten years. Life is good and all of us should be thrilled that at least two folks are willing to blow that amount of money on a TPG red cent. :)

Another thing for sure, a few folks are going to have the most expensive collections of all time.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if I had FU money and a registry set (which I don't) I wouldn't go more than 66 money on a very common coin that really is a 66.
    Please don't bring up that "condition rarity BS" because it just doesn't matter to me.
    :)

• Options
    edited August 17, 2019 5:20PM

Your choice. Nevertheless, you have disqualified yourself anyway as you don't have a Registry Set or the money to chase top coins. However, you do have something I wish I had, the ability to downgrade a coin from an image!.

I think "Condition Rarity" is important for those who want the best. "Condition" is what helps determine the price of most things.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Your choice. Nevertheless, you have disqualified yourself anyway as you don't have a Registry Set or the money to chase top coins. However, you do have something I wish I had, the ability to downgrade a coin from an image!.

I think "Condition Rarity" is important for those who want the best. "Condition" is what helps determine the price of most things.

I disqualified myself?
    Please enlightin me Insider2

• Options

@Insider2 said:

In the olden days I had a complete set of FE and Indian head cents (AU-BU) my friend, please don't tell me about "condition rarity" in these modern times, it just Pees me off!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some crack out artist is smiling from ear to ear!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    Add a new MS68RD to the population.

1902 MS68RD

If I were a betting man, I would have lost a lot of money on this one. I'm surprised by the upgrade, but congratulations to whoever did. What do you think the new holder is worth?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the upgrade can we also expect a CAC sticker soon to follow?

• Options

@northcoin said:
    With the upgrade can we also expect a CAC sticker soon to follow?

?

• Options

@Raybo said:

@Insider2 said:

In the olden days I had a complete set of FE and Indian head cents (AU-BU) my friend, please don't tell me about "condition rarity" in these modern times, it just Pees me off!

In view of your post above concerning condition, I wonder how many BU coins in your set were red unc 66+ even though the grade did not exist.

Speaking about "modern times"...except for Large cents, not many cared much about condition rarity UNTIL modern times. The first inkling I had on the subject came from Don Taxay's book where he would say such and such coin was rare above a particular grade! BTW, knowledge of "Condition Rarity" is one aspect of numismatics that separates the Indian cent hole fillers from successful dealers/collectors. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file