Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1759 Battle of Belleisle NEWP from Stacks (edited...optics and lighting are very weird indeed)

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2019 5:21AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Among my themes, I love the mythological beasts, with the hippocamp being in the top 3. This is a medal I've only seen rarely and spotted it at the recent Stacks auction. (Trying to link it but the site appears to be down or I'm having connectivity issues). It's not in the best shape, but fine for me, and I surely spent too much money chasing it. Oh well. I love it.

The question I have though is that it does appear to have some metal breakdown or surface issues that are not easily spotted in the auction photo. It's clearly the same medal going by marks/dings etc -- and they all look different in my photos vs. the listing, so definitely a photo technique difference. I'm just curious if it looks like maybe old photos were used vs. just a trick of lighting.

Again, I am very happy with the medal, but curious regarding the surface condition, and whether or not it looks like protective measures are needed. I don't generally fuss over medals too much...one of the beautiful differences between medal and coin collecting.

(to the left is a crop from one of my photos, and to the right a crop from the web auction page). I'll try and edit later to add the actual link once I can get on the site. No gasps of dismay over how much I spent. This is a big 'want' medal for me. Dang Stacks and their enabling ways.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I just took another look at it (prompted by response where I cross posted this topic). I had done my shots with a modified ring light set up, with an off color among other things that required correcting.

I took another look with a loupe and a normal light and that raised looking/surface irregularity totally faded away. If anything it looks like maybe there had been a remnant of a surface treatment that was a bit oily. The auction photos were WAAAYYYY more accurate than mine. It's a flat, darker, kind of oily-ish look.

Very weird and a lesson on looking not just through a camera lens! Lesson of the day: optics and lighting are weird.

And, I can finally link. https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-IW5DB/great-britain-battle-of-belleisle-bronze-medal-1759-george-ii-extremely-fine://

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

All that reverse needs is a "KAPOW" and it could come out of a comic book page. Nice acquisition!

KaPow! Here is a quick redo...4x lights with diffusers. Now it just looks like a bit of schmutz.

And the detail. I suspect on my first try my shadow correction was cranked because of the weird lights.

I'm thinking either an acetone bath or send it for conservation. It's not my most pricey medal, but is definitely not one of the cheapest. Plus it'd be hard to replace!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your metal has the typical buildup of crud that is easily removed. Suggested chemicals are on the other website. It is probably best not to post conservation tips as our host is in that business, You could send the medal it to them as it should be conserved.

edited July 14, 2019 7:02AM

@Insider2 said:
    Your metal has the typical buildup of crud that is easily removed. Suggested chemicals are on the other website. It is probably best not to post conservation tips as our host is in that business, You could send the medal it to them as it should be conserved.

I was considering that...I don't have submitting privileges here but have a coin I'd like to cross (PCGS does a better job with Japanese coin attributions) and was debating giving their conservation a try via an intermediary. Or, bit the bullet and finally join up.

I have no problem with the quickie acetone bath when coins arrive (especially those in PVC flips) and I've even cracked a few to get at the PVC. This one made me hesitate because, not that it was super expensive, but it was super hard to find! It came with an old tag that suggests a mintage of 441, though I need to confirm that's what the notation means.

I do appreciate the advice...it just looked so odd in the first shot when using just the photos. The actual eyeballs were helpful :smiley: Thank you!

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    It came with an old tag that suggests a mintage of 441, though I need to confirm that's what the notation means.

This is actually part of the reference to "Medallic Illustrations of the History of Great Britain and Ireland to the Death of George II", published 1885, [volume II], page 706, number 441.

This book is also freely available online at the Internet Archive:
    https://archive.org/details/medallicillustra02hawk/page/706

P.S. I see that Medallic Illustrations notes that it is "probably by Thomas Pingo", but Eimer (no. 676) has it listed as believed to be by John Kirk.

Well I was way off on that notation. I've not paid much attention to them in the past as most of mine are a little more modern (my favorites are the art deco era).