Home Q & A Forum
Options

1997D quarter

Hi! I am wondering if anyone can answer a question for me? I found a 1997 quarter with no "In God We Trust". I have tried looking online for information but couldn't find anything. Is there any way to know if this is an actual error or if it was manually manipulated? The rest of the quarter seems ok.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not look like someone shaved off the IGWT from the surface in the image. However, for that many letters to disappear due to a clogged die is uncommon. Need to see that one in hand or a better image.

• Options

Note that the rim is weak next to where the IGWT should have been. This could indicate an alteration to remove IGWT.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coin worthy of more study.

If it is damaged (mechanically removed) it does not have a ton of value, but would still be of interest to collectors of coins and banknotes that have political or other messages added (or in this case subtracted).

• Options

@JBK said:

If it is damaged (mechanically removed) it does not have a ton of value, but would still be of interest to COLLECTORS of coins and banknotes that have political or other messages added (or in this case subtracted).

Please let any of those folks know that I can hook them up with a bunch of these "Atheist Quarters" cheap!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@JBK said:

If it is damaged (mechanically removed) it does not have a ton of value, but would still be of interest to COLLECTORS of coins and banknotes that have political or other messages added (or in this case subtracted).

Please let any of those folks know that I can hook them up with a bunch of these "Atheist Quarters" cheap!

I'll take two if they are as neatly done as the OPs coin. I am feeling generous today so I'll pay $1. each plus $1 for shipping them. :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Played with some contrast and silver tone.