Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else have Gavelsnipe issues yesterday?

I am working on a 1972 Topps set build and had snipes set for a few cards from Greg Morris. My snipes were all higher than what the cards went for (example - Catfish Hunter snipe set at $11.88, sold for $2.26). The Gavelsnipe site doesn't say that there was an issue - simply that I was outbid.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always hide in the bushes and do it myself. I'm just getting used to it I guess.

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I use Bidding Scheduler and also had issues for the first time in a while.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

I had a snipe go through last night no problem with gavelsnipe.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 reported having similar issues in another thread.

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I used gavel for 3 items last night (they were all the same item from the same seller)..my bid was the highest on all 3..only 1 went through with gavel and i lost the other 2. Very frustrating

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I've had from time to time was this:

Mike
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't see this thread and posted another thread about my own problems. I asked the mods to delete my thread, but this was my post:

I have used Gavelsnipe for years and only had them fail to perform their snipe on eBay a handful of times over that time. However, yesterday and today, Gavelsnipe has failed to fire on all three auctions I had sniped. In all three cases, my maximum bid entered was greater than what the auction closed for, yet in the "Result" section on Gavelsnipe it explains that the loss was because "User was outbid". In the most recent example, a card I had set a snipe of $26.88 for ended up selling for $19.50, so it wasn't a problem of minimum bid increments. Is anyone else who uses Gavelsnipe experiencing a similar problem?

Very frustrating. I will have to manually bid in the meantime, but it is hard sometimes with work/family to be around when auctions end.

Steve
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I won four cards last night that I underbid on earlier in the day figuring if I got them great, but figured someone would snipe late. Thought maybe I’d get one, but was hoping for two since they were all the same seller and shipping was combined. I won all four about $2 under my max bid on each. May not be relevant but thought that was odd.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I had 2 issues with bidding scheduler the same night about a week back

It said password was wrong....except it had put bids in before and after the 2 auctions
    and pw is right

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Just FYI: GavelSnipe worked perfectly for me on 3 eBay auctions today. I hadn't used it for a few days, so I was unaware that there were any problems. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for some people here; hopefully it's working again for everyone.

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I had 2 issues with bidding scheduler the same night about a week back

It said password was wrong....except it had put bids in before and after the 2 auctions
    and pw is right

This was the same error I received. It worked for me yesterday with no issues.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

GS has definitely been less than perfect recently. Ive also had the issues of being outbid even though my max bids were higher. Also had the password not matching issue when in fact I know they were indeed the same.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using gixen for years without a single problem. For $5 a year, you get access to their backup "mirror" site that will enter your bid in case something goes wrong with their main site. I have had that happen a couple of times and my bids went off without an issue.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 6:04AM

They are acknowledging issues, this is on their website:

IMPORTANT: We are aware of the issues with eBay sniping, and it appears eBay is blocking snipes from GavelSnipe. As we look into resolving these issues, it is recommended GavelSnipe NOT be used for important bids. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I won something yesterday, it worked fine.

So only gavelsnipe on things you don’t want I guess. :smiley:

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn. Was hoping they'd have their issues worked out by yesterday but gavelsnipe failed on multiple auctions where I should have ordinarily had a successful result with their system.

• Options
    SoonerificSoonerific Posts: 68 ✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    I have been using gixen for years without a single problem. For $5 a year, you get access to their backup "mirror" site that will enter your bid in case something goes wrong with their main site. I have had that happen a couple of times and my bids went off without an issue.

Same here. Used Gixen for years - never an issue. Gixen's basic sniping service is free, but the $6 annually for the mirror server service alone is well worth it. I see a lot of really nice cards posted in the pickup posts each month. Why trust your snipes to a free snipe service (GavelSnipe, Gixen, etc.) that's not 100% reliable. For $6 a year any issues (with the exception of something on eBay's end) go away by having your snipes mirrored on a second server in a separate location.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night, every single gavelsnipe bid failed. I went something like 0 for 30. Sucks to spend all that time viewing auctions and setting snipes for nothing. I guess I can’t complain about a free service. I’ll check out gixen.

The problem seems to be getting worse. Up until now, some snipes weren’t going through but most still would.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few items to bid on today - guess I will do it the old fashioned way.

Daniel
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

I just had a snipe complete successfully through gavelsnipe...woohoo

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Last night, every single gavelsnipe bid failed. I went something like 0 for 30. Sucks to spend all that time viewing auctions and setting snipes for nothing. I guess I can’t complain about a free service. I’ll check out gixen.

The problem seems to be getting worse. Up until now, some snipes weren’t going through but most still would.

Yeah my son sold a sign last night and had a couple messages this morning asking him to relist. We expected the sign to sell for $500+ more than it did. Snipes did not go off. Rare to find a kid with integrity, but he'll accept the "loss" and move on.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RyansRust said:

@gemint said:

Yeah my son sold a sign last night and had a couple messages this morning asking him to relist. We expected the sign to sell for $500+ more than it did. Snipes did not go off. Rare to find a kid with integrity, but he'll accept the "loss" and move on.

I can appreciate expecting items to sell for more than they do over the past few days. I sent cards in to PWCC for the first time at the beginning of the acceptance period for the current auction series, which happened to be just before all the questionable activities hit the news. Combine that unlucky timing with the snipe services struggling to defeat ebay's prevention, and I am pretty disappointed in the closing prices coming in well below what I expected relative to other recent sales data on the PSA website. I wish I had waited to send those in for another few days, and then I probably never would have done it.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing this is still a thing? I just went on Gavelsnipe today and that message is still there.

Daniel
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I'm guessing this is still a thing? I just went on Gavelsnipe today and that message is still there.

Yes. I stopped using them and went back to Gixen.

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I used it yesterday on a card that I wouldn't have been upset on if something didn't work and it ended up working fine. Even with that message still posted on the top of the page. Just an FYI.

Thanks.

Scott