Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First Day of Issue

I was wondering about the first day of issue designation as I've noticed something peculiar. My understanding is that coins have to be proven to have been issued on the first possible day to get the designation. But then I stumbled upon this...

The 2019 Lowell National Park quarters (P, D & S) were released on Feb 7 which is the first availability/release of these coins. These quarters were also available on Mar 26 in ATB Quarter Unc sets and then again on May 14 in the annual Unc set.

Within the last few days, what I assume is one of the bigger PCGS bulk submission customers started selling the "First Day of Issue" version of this quarter (see ebay item #352707583096) along with other 2019 ATB quarters which have not yet been released in rolls such as the San Antonio Missions NP quarter and several other coins (cents, nickels, etc) from the Unc sets.

I understand that there is a possibility that they had sealed and dated boxes of rolls to qualify for this designation for the Lowell quarter that they've sat on since February and submitted months later, but it appears that this company (enicoin) is obtaining its quarters from the annual mint sets since they suddenly have for sale all of this year's quarters. I have serious doubts that they submitted sealed boxes of rolls of Lowell NP quarters and submitted San Antonio quarters from sets in order to get the designation.

If that is the case, some of the quarters such as the Lowell NP quarter should not qualify for a "First Day of Issue" designation if they came from a set as I am guessing is the case. It would be one thing is the label was FDOI and included the set designation, but it does not.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 5:55PM

nvm

• Options

There actually is no difference. The mint states there is no difference between first day of issue,early release,or first struck coins. The mint states that once they mint the coins they are all mixed together so there is no real way of knowing. A lot of collectors believe or get more money for these coins but I also have been told over the phone there is no real way of knowing. I guess it means do not waste your money.I also hear some people will vote against this theory. I hope this helps.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@saturn said:
    There actually is no difference. The mint states there is no difference between first day of issue,early release,or first struck coins. The mint states that once they mint the coins they are all mixed together so there is no real way of knowing. A lot of collectors believe or get more money for these coins but I also have been told over the phone there is no real way of knowing. I guess it means do not waste your money.I also hear some people will vote against this theory. I hope this helps.

You missed the point of the post. The post was about the PCGS standards for the designation and whether or not those standards were being strictly adhered to. The value of the designation is its own topic.

• Options

oh ok I see now what you mean,thanks for the update.