Home Q & A Forum

rainbow toned coins

slimiesslimies Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I have a couple that i've gotten in change or found on the ground. may sound like a noob question.. i've been eyeing some on ebay but is there a way to determine if the rainbow tone is natural or artificially made

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of experience and it still is not enough in many cases. The best folks who know the difference are the folks who experiment toning coins. After a while, certain patterns and defects are commonly found on fake toning. A good start is to join the ANA and order the toning lecture by Bob Campbell.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

ill have to check that out.. thanks.. dont wish to get taken on ebay by an artificial one

here's one that sat in a coin box in a sleeve at my desk for quite a while .. this one mom and dad had brought back to me from alaska back in the 90's

• I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve got two sacs from 2000 recently out of a vending machine at work one “D” and one “P” both have similar toning but you can really see the colors in natural light.

edited March 1, 2020 10:20PM

heres a coronation one for Elizabeth thats been sitting on my desk drawer for a while .. i have it in another post but was able to get clearer shots and the toning is more noticable in these pics

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!