Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986-87 Fleer Basketball Question

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I’m in the early stages of putting this set together in PSA 9 with an emphasis on centering. I already have most of the rookie HOF’ers but having trouble finding the Mullin in a nice centered copy. I know this card has a fairly good reputation for being tough in high grade.

So, my question...For those of you that know this set well, which cards (other than the Mullin rookie) are most difficult to find in high grade or in well centered copies?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Barkley. Checklist.

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I already have the Johnny Moore in PSA 9

@Rttrffg2012 said:

76 Johnny Moore , $15k in psa 10

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maurice Lucas, Jeff Malone, Dominique,Steve Johnson, Rolando Blackmon very hard to find centered. Brad Davis and Jim Paxon were hard for me as well. Barkley can be tough and a nicely centered Jordan in a 9 is north of 6K now

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any card that is multiplies of 11. ie....... 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 110, 121, 132. I’ve seen a huge jump in prices with Steve Johnson and Maurice Lucas.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 1:53AM

As Bobby said above, there is the rule of 11 in which cards that are multiples of 11 in this set are generally condition sensitive and will often command a significant premium over the normal values you would expect for that player card. You can also go + or - 1 from these multiples of 11 and have similar issues. Your Chris Mullin for instance is 77 and is tough as is the checklist at 132. Kareem Abdul Jabbar (#1) is tough as is James Worthy (#131). Isiah Thomas (#109) is not as tough as the above mentioned but is still more condition sensitive than the average card in the set. These are all examples of players +/- 11x. When I was doing the set the toughest commons for me included Lucas and Steve Johnson as Bobby mentioned above. Bill Hanzlik at #43 was also relatively tough, but he didn't command the premium of the others.

Steve
  • Options

Vern Flemling, Brad Davis. Im 96 cards in my base Bgs 9/9.5 set 93% GPA and Still dont have a Vern flemling. Lasalle Thompson

• Options

Paul Pressey another very difficult card. But ultimately the Jeff Malone is most likely the most difficult of all