Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Show us your No Longer Grading (NLG) Cards

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1989 the Franklin Caramel Co. in Chicago (not sure if it ever existed) released 2 series of cards, 12 cards each. This Ken Griffey Jr card is #2 in the second series of 12 cards. I have not been able to find much history on this card. Being unlicensed, is what I assume caused it to be no longer graded. A total of 34 cards were graded. Anyone else have any to share?

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@nam812 said:

Solid first entry! Keeping on the Griffey theme too. Bonus point!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    In 1989 the Franklin Caramel Co. in Chicago released at least 2 series of cards. This Ken Griffey Jr card is #2 in the second series of 12 cards. I have not been able to find much history on this card. Being unlicensed, is what I assume caused it to be no longer graded. A total of 34 cards were graded. Anyone else have any to share?

I love these cards. Wish I could get my Greenwell graded. Nice KGJ.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@NGS428 said:
    In 1989 the Franklin Caramel Co. in Chicago released at least 2 series of cards. This Ken Griffey Jr card is #2 in the second series of 12 cards. I have not been able to find much history on this card. Being unlicensed, is what I assume caused it to be no longer graded. A total of 34 cards were graded. Anyone else have any to share?

Thanks Andy! Do you happen to have any background info on these cards?

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@ahopkins said:

@NGS428 said:

Thanks Andy! Do you happen to have any background info on these cards?

Hey, Nic. Wish I did have info on these cards. I've searched (albeit not recently) for info, but I've come up pretty short. Apparently, though, "Franklin Caramel Co. Chicago" never existed. Not sure if this is 100% accurate. Neat cards. I'd love to know how they were originally distributed. Just another fun mystery of card collecting.

Andy

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2019 6:56PM

This is a pretty sore subject for at least several of us, especially when collecting graded sets they decided to do this to without any satisfactory explanation (and within a week of getting poppage on quite a few they happily collected grading fees for before they were even back in hand). How many do you want to see?

ETA: I have at least 30-50 ;)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Fairly certain those caramel cards are just a slightly neater looking broder than most issued in the same time frame.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    This is a pretty sore subject for at least several of us, especially when collecting graded sets they decided to do this to without any satisfactory explanation (and within a week of getting poppage on quite a few they happily collected grading fees for before they were even back in hand). How many do you want to see?

ETA: I have at least 30-50 ;)

Anything low pop, obscure, something we have not seen before. I am sure a few fit the bill. :smile:

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    Fairly certain those caramel cards are just a slightly neater looking broder than most issued in the same time frame.

Gotcha. Do you have any info on the set?

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, why they don’t grade the 79 Comics anymore is a mystery to me!

Also, my white whale for 6 years has been a 1969 Eskimo Pie Gino Cappelletti/Dale Livingston. About 2 years ago, PSA decided to stop grading the set. So when I do finally land one, guess it’s going to SGC!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ballstreet card rules. I remember those from being a kid.

I missed the cutoff by maybe a few weeks. They were in a bulk sub and I thought everything was fine and then they came back N-FU or whatever the code is. Apparently they're not a real Fleer issue?

Arthur

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I don't. At that time, I was basically on a break from regular collecting and was seeing the world with the Navy, so I was not part of the regular card world. My belief though is that if these were a legit issue, there would be information out there or someone would be able to pinpoint their origin. I wonder if you could find them in ads from those Baseball Card Magazines from that time frame or if that would have been taboo because they were unlicensed.

I remember a few years later though, guys at shows with stacks and stacks of many different broder cards. Some guys, that was all they sold at shows, and had those large sorting trays loaded with them! I think they were buying them from a few distributors in the 1000s. Print as many as you need and see as many as you can. Most dealers were getting around $0.50-1.00 for most of them, less if you bought in quantity.

Imagine how bad it could have gotten if this happened today. all of the computer programs and printing technology. I'm actually surprised there are not more, but ebay is flooded with ACEO print and customs as it is now. The game has been elevated though to the next level with sketch cards, Helmar/Banty Red type customs that are low print run and high quality.

Getting off track but what really concerns me is all of the "reprints" now that are not marked as such. I don't mind broders or customs, but these somewhat realistic reprints are going to cause major heartburn down the road. Seems like someone is making reprints of just about any key card these days and not just the biggies we all used to see.

@NGS428 said:

@mrmopar said:

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2019 5:17AM

@mrmopar said:
    I don't. At that time, I was basically on a break from regular collecting and was seeing the world with the Navy, so I was not part of the regular card world. My belief though is that if these were a legit issue, there would be information out there or someone would be able to pinpoint their origin. I wonder if you could find them in ads from those Baseball Card Magazines from that time frame or if that would have been taboo because they were unlicensed.

I remember a few years later though, guys at shows with stacks and stacks of many different broder cards. Some guys, that was all they sold at shows, and had those large sorting trays loaded with them! I think they were buying them from a few distributors in the 1000s. Print as many as you need and see as many as you can. Most dealers were getting around $0.50-1.00 for most of them, less if you bought in quantity.

Imagine how bad it could have gotten if this happened today. all of the computer programs and printing technology. I'm actually surprised there are not more, but ebay is flooded with ACEO print and customs as it is now. The game has been elevated though to the next level with sketch cards, Helmar/Banty Red type customs that are low print run and high quality.

Getting off track but what really concerns me is all of the "reprints" now that are not marked as such. I don't mind broders or customs, but these somewhat realistic reprints are going to cause major heartburn down the road. Seems like someone is making reprints of just about any key card these days and not just the biggies we all used to see.

@NGS428 said:

@mrmopar said:

Reprints not marked as such.. like this NNOF Thomas... selling like hot cakes..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362591602567

Or fraud like this... it keeps being relisted by this Chinese seller...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401810892980

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to bring up the 1979 Comics as well. I believe I am the reason they stopped grading them. Around 2005 and 2006 I came upon a huge lot of never folded comics and I sent some in. They graded them, but soon after stopped. The reason they told me was because they were fragile and could easily be damaged in the case. Makes sense to me, but I wish they wouldn't have stopped grading them.

@DBesse27 said:
    Yes, why they don’t grade the 79 Comics anymore is a mystery to me!

Also, my white whale for 6 years has been a 1969 Eskimo Pie Gino Cappelletti/Dale Livingston. About 2 years ago, PSA decided to stop grading the set. So when I do finally land one, guess it’s going to SGC!

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

Or fraud like this... it keeps being relisted by this Chinese seller...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401810892980

No one should buy a card with a Probstein image from anyone else. It's just asking for trouble.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2019 7:05PM

When a card moves to the no longer graded status is it removed from all registry set checklists and will not be added to any in the future?

I tried to get one added to a master set and was denied.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 6:44PM

So these cards are cracked out of the slabs?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@stwainfan said:

So these cards are cracked out of the slabs?

Not quite sure what you are asking. These are cards which were graded by PSA at one time, then they stopped for whatever reason (Card isn’t licensed, most of the time there is no reason given). They can stay in slabs, if you are asking if PSA cracks them out if you send it in for any reason, I wouldn’t think so.

I am still wondering if they are removed from PSA set checklists once they are deemed no longer graded.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick, like a lot of things, PSA is inconsistent on this. I know there are one or two NLG items that are still required parts of the Yaz master set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art - Those Jordan are awesome. Better than any insert I've seen in a while.

Mike
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Nick, like a lot of things, PSA is inconsistent on this. I know there are one or two NLG items that are still required parts of the Yaz master set.

Thanks Dan.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Is there a good list of prominent NLG cards out there? Curious to see what other gems are on that list.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763