Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened pack broken gum

I wanted to know if knew if when PSA grades unopened packs, if they deducted if gum is broken. I looked on PSA website and it did not mention this anywhere.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive heard that if the gum is broken they will not encase and grade the pack period.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2019 11:30AM

They will not typically deduct from the grade, but if gum is both broken and loose in the pack they have been known to not holder the pack due to potential damage caused by loose gum tearing through the wrapper in transit, though this seems to happen less frequently with the advent of the newer holders.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Would I still get charged if they would not grade and encase the pack because of broken gum?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just rip it open!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Just rip it open!

problem solved

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Just rip it open!

If you want to turn hundreds into singles, then, yes, LOL..

Otherwise, keep the pack sealed and just buy the cards already graded. Your wallet will thank you. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@mexpo75 said:
    Would I still get charged if they would not grade and encase the pack because of broken gum?

I don't believe so.

• Options

Thanks, Mike. I did not think so. I will probably call and make sure.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Wax, typically no- they will grade cellos with broken gum.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options

Did hear back from Joe. If gum is broken then they will not encapsulate.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broken gum wouldn't bather me. I'd chew it anyway.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all: is broken gum really ok in cellos, as stated above?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Mike- yes, broken gum in cellos is ok and PSA will holder them.

• Options

Thanks Jake - is there much of a deduction? Probably wouldn't send it in, even with Fidrych on the back, unless it would likely be an 8? I have never graded a pack - so any thoughts appreciated (more of a certified Ripper)....

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous pack, looks like one split in bottom corner from pictures. Likely 7 with that. I would buy it in a second!!

• Options

Definitely worth subbing. Broken gum is no longer an issue even with wax packs from what I've seen over past couple of years, at least. think you're looking at a 7, maybe an 8.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

If you send a pack to PSA , you will be charged whether it grades or not. BBCE determines if it is good or has been opened. Steve then sends it back to PSA stating if it is good or not. You are charged full price regardless of the grade. On wax packs, gum must not be broken, but call Steve at BBCE to make sure. Cello may be ok .

• Options

@Bosox1976 said:
    Thanks Jake - is there much of a deduction? Probably wouldn't send it in, even with Fidrych on the back, unless it would likely be an 8? I have never graded a pack - so any thoughts appreciated (more of a certified Ripper)....

I think you have a shot at an 8, and I would sub that pack if I were you. Best of luck either way.

• Options

Thanks Guys - I will sub it this weekend. Appreciate the input.

Mike
    Bosox1976