Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When you see MS63RD in Lincolns, is it a hard pass for you?

Would you rather have a 64BN or 65BN in the same coin and date? I'm not talking in terms of registry ranking, but a coin you want to look at? Seems to me like 100 year old Lincolns in 63RD have a not so pretty look.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer RB or BN to RD myself. Especially with pretty tone! :)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the look and the price asked.
    I have a 63BN I like better than most 65RD I see (55/55)

The grade is absolutely something to consider, as is the designation, but, to me, that goes into part of the look as well...and, to me, I have gotten to the point where "the look" is the vast value of a coin to me.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63s usually have a lot to be desired so yes it would be a hard pass for me. There would likely be exceptions if an eye appealing example came along.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

63RD's are a hard pass for me. An exception would be a truly full red 26-S. I'd way rather have a 65BN which is why that's the grade I try to collect.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely higher-grade beautifully toned BN and RB coins for me and some of the other guys in this thread with whom I have bought and sold. I expect to see spots on 63RD coins, and I hate 'em!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking like you guys. I want to buy a 1909 S VDB and many f the reds I've seen I don't care for. Besides the HUGE premium for the RD designation, I also realize that I'll want to keep that coin long term and will have to look at.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its kindve weird that a lot of the 31s ive seen in that grade have spots so i opted for a rb with no spots and a slight tone

• Options
    Lewis4errorrareLewis4errorrare Posts: 21
    edited July 7, 2019 3:12PM

1968 d over d
    1964 d over d beautiful - coins

Will entertain
    Offer?s ???

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I am about 23 coins deep into my 140 coin “Wheatie” Lincoln Cent Set Registry. And I have all RD’s. I love the look of the “bright shiny penny”. Not sure what I’m going to do when I get to the key dates (1914-D, 1909-S VDB, etc). I’ll have drop the grade down low or settle for a RB. Time will tell.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 3:22PM

I prefer Bn or RB to Red no matter what the grade.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never use the term "hard pass" as there are great coins in every grade out there, however 63RD Lincolns are usually not very pleasant too view. As to the second part, no I would not prefer a 64 or 65BN, instead I would wait and save enough to get an attractive 64 or 65 in RB or RD. There are some nice BN coins around but remember that many (I would go as far to say most) browns tend to look dark and blah until tilted into the light just right.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.