Home Precious Metals
Options

Class ring gold

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Jostens 1967 Class ring that weighs 13.63 grams of 10K gold with a ruby stone. Is there a chart or a way to tell the weight of the stone without destroying the ring or damaging the stone. Is the stone even worth anything. I have been told averages of 2 to 2.25 grams per stone, but have no idea if that is correct or not.
Thanks,
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the stones I take out of larger mens rings weigh 1.5 grams.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive never been able to remove those without breaking them. Unless I dissolve the gold in acid. But yes typically 1.5-2.5 grams depending on the thickness of the stone.

• Options

Are these rings easily sold and what would be a value of the gold if the stone weight of say 2.5 g and removed making the total weight of the gold at 11.13 grams. I know how to multiply the grams times the gold value of 1 gram, but what percentage are those that buy the rings purchasing at?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small deals over the counter, 75% of melt. I've bought gold from forum members at 95%, larger quantities though. These are very easily sold just about anywhere, bids do vary depending on the vender.

Ever thought of refining as a hobby?

• Options

I've done a lot of minor lead pourings. Made some metal work stands of lead and steel, but never any semiprecious or precious metals. Probably wouldn't do so now. Thanks for the responses.
    Jim

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a forum member born July 1967 would offer like $200 as is. PM me with your papal address.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley
    Been over 50 years since I was last in Rome and then with only an APO address.
    Jim