Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1984 donruss don mattingly prices

hello I know this might not be worth talking about but why are mattingly psa 9 rookies going for more then 150.00 now. mattingly probably will not make the hall of fame. I got one about five years ago for about 40.00. any response thank you.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

If you got yours for $40, that is a great deal!!

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Because...it's a watershed card in the history of card collecting. To own it in high grade condition (not easy even by 1984 Donruss standards) and to be preserved forever is worth the price.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    If you got yours for $40, that is a great deal!!

I bought it on ebay then. now it is in the old psa label. I noticed the new labels go for a little bit more now.

here is my mattingly.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this one in April 2017 for $60. It was a really good deal at the time, but I wish I would have pulled the trigger on a 10.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Huge Donnie fan. His PSA 9 was going for about $65-70 avg the last few years. Not sure I'll ever want to afford a PSA 10. I think I still need his OPC in 10 and that will probably run me $400+. He has taken a back burner to other PCs.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought he had a cool baseball name. Don Mattingly. Being a Yankee and putting up numbers also helps a lot. Plus his name was mentioned on Seinfeld a lot. "George, are you watching the Yankees game? Mattingly just singled!"

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compared to some of the recent inductees I am puzzled by his absence
    in the HoF. He had 6 or 7 excellent years with the Yankees. His Rookie
    cards were hot for a few years. Compared to Baines and Raines and some
    of the others he should be at the front. With the HoF , it's OK to not have
    anybody inducted some years as opposed to rolling out the WELCOME
    mat for some extremely marginal players.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭

As a lifelong Yankee fan I can say I think the world on Mattingly.
    He was the best player in baseball for a few years. I am not going to make a for/against argument
    but with the induction of some recent players ……………………………..
    I'll throw in Keith Hernandez here also. He doesn't have anywhere near the fan base though.
    Collectors are thinking the same thing. Frankly his card is priced like a HOFer.
    For years the 84D was at $500 then up to $800. Then its been slowly rising.
    Also all of his cards are. You could buy his 84T for $100 in a 10 not all that long ago.

I don't spend big bucks on modern cards so I probably will never have a psa 10.
    I have no big ego either so my PSA 9 is more than good enough for me.
    As stated the card is not scarce. Same with the 93 SP Jeter. But demand is very high.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • NYYanksFan7NYYanksFan7 Posts: 52 ✭✭

I blame the "Top 80 cards of the 80's" Beckett issue that came out late last year for the recent run-up of his 84D rc.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started my 1980's RC run 9 years ago and I am stunned on how much the values have risen. With the higher print runs and large amounts of unopened I thought there was a cap to how much these cards could ever go for.

I looked up some old invoices, in 2016, I paid $172 to 4Sharp for the following PSA 10 RCs - Canseco 1986 F, 1986 TTr - Bonds 1986 D Rookies, 1986 TTr, 1987 F. That really wasn't that long ago. At best I expected the values to grow maybe 25% over 3 years, these aren't rare cards. Obviously I really had no idea what was going to happen. I didn't buy them to make money, I bought them because I started collecting in the 1980's. However I have to admit that this run up makes me wonder if I should sell.

Mike
  • VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I started my 1980's RC run 9 years ago and I am stunned on how much the values have risen. With the higher print runs and large amounts of unopened I thought there was a cap to how much these cards could ever go for.

I looked up some old invoices, in 2016, I paid $172 to 4Sharp for the following PSA 10 RCs - Canseco 1986 F, 1986 TTr - Bonds 1986 D Rookies, 1986 TTr, 1987 F. That really wasn't that long ago. At best I expected the values to grow maybe 25% over 3 years, these aren't rare cards. Obviously I really had no idea what was going to happen. I didn't buy them to make money, I bought them because I started collecting in the 1980's. However I have to admit that this run up makes me wonder if I should sell.

Sounds like you enjoy collecting and because of that, I would say to hold onto them as it probably brings you enjoyment simply in having them now as an adult. Sure, those cards have gone up a little but not enough to really make anything off of them. Now if they have nearly doubled in price like the Jeter SP PSA 9's or even the Trout 2011 Topps Update PSA 10 when it was at $300 less than two years ago, then that may be something to consider but to sell and make next to nothing on them isn't worth it imo.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something going with Dale Murphy 77 & 78 Topps cards recently as well but since the subject is Don...

For about a week in July 1987 he was the greatest power hitter MLB has ever seen. During that home run streak. He was completely on fire after coming off the disabled list in June of that year through mid Sept. Unfortunately for me and many, many other Mattingly fans that would be the last time all of his talent was on display in a peak fashion. He did have a stretch in late June 93 - mid August 93 in which he flashed much of what he made him special from 84-89ish. Hurt the wrist that summer however and that torpedoed that season.
    My first run of collecting was built on Mattingly 84 -99. Ended up selling what, IMO, was the best Mattingly collection in North and South Carolina if not the south in general to another hardcore Mattingly collector. He's graded and sold many to fund his daughters college tuition. I've seen several lower pop Mattingly's surface on eBay that I remember fondly :D . Mattingly was a joy to collect, a class act. I'm not going down the Mattingly collecting road however, been there done that. Not surprised his 84 D in PSA 9 is getting more run. Glad to see it in fact B)

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

It’s because I own exactly two of Donny Baseballs Donruss rookies, while I have well over 100 of his Topps rookies. There is zero doubt which one would appreciate more quickly.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

Following jordangretzkyfan's thread should remind all of us how difficult it is to get those cards in 10, despite (or because of) the vast production.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in a lot of those "hobby boom kids getting back into the hobby" threads and it's almost unanimous which cards they want to cross off their short list -- a Mattingly rookie, Canseco RR, and Griffey UD. There is no close 4th place.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I'm in a lot of those "hobby boom kids getting back into the hobby" threads and it's almost unanimous which cards they want to cross off their short list -- a Mattingly rookie, Canseco RR, and Griffey UD. There is no close 4th place.

Arthur

i would think that frank Thomas would be in the running for 4th place. his leaf rookie is going for twice as much as last two years.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

I find it refreshing that a lot of the non-HOF stars from that era getting a lot of love in the 1980's RC rally. I been chasing the second tier stars from that era (like Hershiser) and their cards are increasing at healthy rates as well.

Maybe it's time to buy Frank Viola and Willie McGee PSA 10 Topps RCs?

Mike