Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Keepsakes of the Last Brooklyn Dodgers Doctor - The First Two Items I Uncovered

70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

As many of you know my father passed away about two weeks ago. Thanks to all of you who reached out.

I’ve mentioned before that my dad was a physician, and he actually served as the team physician for the Dodgers during their last years in Brooklyn and the first years in Los Angeles.

After his time with the Dodgers my dad spent 2 years in the Air Force before returning to New York. Upon his return he stayed close with the new New York national league team (the Mets), where many of the old Dodgers wound down their careers and/or hung out. I came into the picture about then and ended up spending a good deal of my pre-adolescent years during the late 60s and early 70s around the clubhouse with the Amazin Mets and the former Dodgers who came around.

Just started going through the first few boxes of my dad’s effects and found these two items below and thought I would share here.

As I get through more in the coming months I’ll try to add pics of any notable finds.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, that's some cool items there, Dave.

So sorry to hear that your father passed away. He led an amazing life and must have really enjoyed being around such a legendary roster of players. Deepest condolences to you and your family.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting the pics, really cool stuff. I lost my dad 2 years ago to cancer, so I feel your pain. You gave him the best gift he could ever want- A son who turned out to be a great human being.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave, I am so sorry , my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope to see you in Chicago.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your loss. Those are some great items to remember him by.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 10:48PM

Geez Dave - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad; this is the first I'm hearing of it.

I've got a soft spot for Brooklyn stuff.

Ya know. I still remember "the" win of the '55 WS even tho I was only 8.

That's a super ball BTW - I see Elmer Valo on it - which places the ball from what I can see around '57-58?

I'm assuming that's your dad in the middle? Based on player numbers, I put the pic at 1961?

Mike
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Geez Dave - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad; this is the first I'm hearing of it.

I've got a soft spot for Brooklyn stuff.

Ya know. I still remember "the" win of the '55 WS even tho I was only 8.

That's a super ball BTW - I see Elmer Valo on it - which places the ball from what I can see around '57-58?

I'm assuming that's your dad in the middle? Based on player numbers, I put the pic at 1961?

Both are 1957 - mid-1959 Dad was in the Air Force from July 1959 - July 1961.

Pic is definitely at Vero Beach, FL from spring training.

Just found the article from the L.I. Standard from 2010 about his time with the team

https://issuu.com/makf/docs/standard__2_low/17

Dave
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the items. Sorry for your loss.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for the reply David.

Spring training numbers may not match actual season numbers for newcomers to the team.

Looking forward to seeing what you post buddy.

Mike