Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's not as easy as it looks. You better make sure that you know what you are doing before you go down that road.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the coin shown in raw condition is in pretty good shape for that date. The MS-66 coin is way, way, way harder to come by.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 8:11PM

Need to see the coin, not a photo and be a very good grader. No it is not easy at all.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not so hard to find an '83-P that's well made by good dies but most of the entire production got scratched up pretty bad. ...nice big scratches all over and most noticeable on the obverse.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

It came up heads

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    It's not so hard to find an '83-P that's well made by good dies but most of the entire production got scratched up pretty bad. ...nice big scratches all over and most noticeable on the obverse.

These used to be good in 65 and up.
    Now you would need a 66+ to even make up fees; assuming you got the coin at a good price.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the grading on this is also quite subjective even at TPGs.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything raw should just be considered to be no better than MS60. The money is in the plastic and it costs money to get it into the plastic at a grade level that the "market" will care about.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Anything raw should just be considered to be no better than MS60. The money is in the plastic and it costs money to get it into the plastic at a grade level that the "market" will care about.

You've obviously never tried to find a candidate for this "expensive plastic".

It's easy enough to agree that there is an over reliance on third party opinions but even if you can find a few $500 rolls of '83-P's there may be nothing close to MS-65 in them. Most people without experience have no idea how difficult $500 modern rolls can be.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Actually, come to think of it, there are lots and lots of $10 modern rolls that are a hundred times tougher than finding a roll of '83-P US quarters.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the ungraded quarter would not even straight grade. it has been cleaned

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagle reverse Washingtons, both silver and clad, are my favorite series. I have learned a lot reading the words of @Cladking on forums, and he was kind enough to advise me when I was trying to make some high MS 82 and 83 Washingtons from a couple of souvenir sets. I made one 66 and three 65s, and definitely learned enough in the process to say it is not easy at all. But those four coins now make up a nice part of my small collection and I can always refer to them in the future when I find an example I think may be worth submitting.

Either way @dalladalla69 Good luck to you!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

The population counts on this coin in MS-66 have increased noticeably over the last 5+ years. I know as I have tracked it on occasion though I don't collect it. I don't know if it is due to gradeflation but most buyers won't care. They will just see the counts go up. Problem with this idea is that the margins compress quickly if attempted in any volume.

• Options

I made one 66 and three 65s, and definitely learned enough in the process to say it is not easy at all. But those four coins now make up a nice part of my small collection and I can always refer to them in the future when I find an example I think may be worth submitting.

Thank you. That was a very exceptional group of souvenir sets. I've never seen anything like them before or since. As a rule you'll have to look at a lot of these sets to find an MS-65 and that goes several times over for the '82-P and to the '83-P to a lesser extent.

I've been looking for the '83-P since 1983. The date is tough and my luck has been quite poor for this date. I've never seen one that I consider a true Gem (well struck by good dies and virtually clean). I have a few dozen I call MS-64 and one or two worthy of grading. Most of the rest from circulation BU rolls and bags, and from dealer stock are just nice choice coins. My finest come from the "California sets" and the Paul and Judy sets". Souvenir sets have nice coins but they aren't gradable.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have to be high enough for the grading to be worth while. If so , then submit before you sell, most I see In unc are 64 or less in quality

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What they said.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I used to flip 1983-p quarters, not for profit but just to try to find the best one for my collection. I have probably lost $5K+ on them, but I do have a darn nice one (pcgs ms67)! 83-d I was lucky and got a nice pcgs ms67 early on.

That is pretty for a clad.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 66s can be very pleasant but bought mine slabbed. I handpicked and then broke one souvenir set for the 83P, which really looked exceptional - came back a 64. I looked at this coin in all sorts of light condition and mag at 2x, 5x, 10x, 30x and could not find it inferior in any way to the 66. Makes one wonder about the grading in instances such as this.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I used to flip 1983-p quarters, not for profit but just to try to find the best one for my collection. I have probably lost $5K+ on them, but I do have a darn nice one (pcgs ms67)! 83-d I was lucky and got a nice pcgs ms67 early on.

Beautiful!

That's at least one cut above anything I've ever found.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file