Home Testing Forum
Options

BS

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2019 6:42AM in Testing Forum

1858 Mulligan Jewelers, Philadelphia, M-PA-370R, Reeded Edge Brass, 32mm Diameter

Brass ex: Fred Kraemer collection.

Copper ex: Yellowkids, Coinarefun, and Kaz collections.

Silver ex: Pennsylvania Cabinet collection.

White Metal ex: Richard Crosby collection.

1858 H. Mulligan Watches, Philadelphia, Miller PA-371 / Wright 736, 32mm Diameter, Reeded Edge, Thick Planchet, Copper, Rarity-5.

This token is unlisted having been struck on a copper planchet in Russell Rulau's works on U.S. Merchant Tokens 1845-1860. However Edgar Adams in his 1920 "U.S. Store Cards" and Donald Miller's 1962 "A Catalogue of U.S. Store Cards or Merchant Tokens" have it listed as number 371. Due to the high relief design the eagle's upper wings, neck & leg feathers along with the reverse centers are always weakly struck.

Just looking through a copy of Edgar Adams 1920 "U.S. Store Cards" and Donald Miller's 1962 "A Catalogue of U.S. Store Cards or Merchant Tokens" and noticed the H. Mulligan store cards...

Both Adams and Miller have numbers 370, 371, 372, and 373 assigned to this token in various metal strikings along with Silver which is also not mentioned by Rulau.

NGC only uses Russell Rulau's books as gospel for their designation.

Steve Hayden years ago told me the silver was one of the rarest US Merchant tokens and I've never seen one.

The B&M Pennsylvania Cabinet collection sold in 1997 was mostly Hard Times and Civil War tokens. So either all the U.S. Merchants had been in the collection at the time or the collector assembled this collection over the last 22 years. I think it was already part of the collection as there was stuff I hadn't seen research wise pop up in any sale since 1997. Then again once it the blood stream it's not uncommon for someone who just sold their collection to turn around and build another. Needless to say I still have unanswered question regrading the pedigree on the slab labels. Yet based on the rarity, quality, and quantity feel it's legit.

Although the original Pennsylvania Cabinet token collection was sold by Bowers & Merena in 1997 all this stuff must have been more kept until just now.

Alfred H. Satterlee 1866 Scarce

Completed Set of 1858 H. Mulligan Jewelers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in all metal types.

Miller PA-370 through 373 (Wright 736), Thick Planchet, Reeded Edge, 32mm Diameter.

370 Brass: ex Fred Kraemer collection.

371 Copper: ex Yellowkids, Coinarefun, and Kaz collections.

372 Silver: ex Pennsylvania Cabinet collection.

373 White Metal: ex Richard Crosby collection.

This collection started with the purchase of the copper example from forum member Kaz.

These large size Mulligan Jewelers advertising merchant tokens had already considered scarce by Alfred H. Satterlee in 1866.

Due to the high relief design the eagle's upper wings, neck & leg feathers along with the reverse centers are always weakly struck.

Exonumia dealer Steve Hayden years ago told me the Mulligan issued in Silver was one of the rarest 1845-1860 U.S. Merchant tokens. I have never seen another Silver or White Metal example nor while researching auction sales to nearly the time of issue.

This token is unlisted having been struck on Copper, Silver, and White Metal planchets in Russell Rulau's works on U.S. Merchant Tokens 1845-1860.

However Edgar Adams in his 1920 "U.S. Store Cards" and Donald Miller's 1962 "A Catalogue of U.S. Store Cards or Merchant Tokens" have it listed as numbers 370, 371, 372, and 373 assigned to this token in various metal strikings not mentioned by Rulau.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!