Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question: Is there a gold variety of 1994 SP #15 Alex Rodriguez Foil?

I was looking though a stack of Arod SP rookie cards and noticed that there was one gold foil card in a sea of bronze foil cards. See the attached photo. The card on the left, has a gold oval at the bottom, Arod's name is written in gold, and the SP logo is in gold. I can't find any reference to a gold variety anywhere so figured I'd post here and see if anyone knows anything about this.

Comments

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a misprint where that bronze (darker) overlay is missing. The pictures are hard to tell, but just above the "S" in the "SP" logo, it appears to have some of the bronze overlay?

• smittiassmittias Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thanks for your reply. Yes, right above the "S" is a small bronze triangle. That is the only bronze on the card. And as you can see, Alex's skin tone is quite different on the two cards as well, so your explanation makes sense.

Next question maybe someone can help me with...if I sent this in for grading, would PSA:

1) Grade it with no reference to the variation/misprint
    2) Grade it and reference the variation/misprint
    3) return it as an ungrade-able factory misprint

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

If you mentioned it in the submission then #3 is most likely.

If you said nothing and submitted it as a standard card then near 100% chance of #1.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one heck of a card. I've never seen it before. Thanks for posting it.