Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who are the most notable collectors as ANA Presidents?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2019 12:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm mostly familiar with coin dealers serving as ANA President and was recently surprised to learn that John Jay Pittman was a past President. Who are other notable collectors, that were not also dealers, that have served as ANA President?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 8:10AM

Define "notable collector."

Ken Bressett certainly qualifies as a collector of note.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting list, but even without it, one would have simply said "Pittman".

Mrs. Culver was very knowledgeable about Civil War Tokens, Mr. Wilde had very nice group of Lesher Dollars, Mr. Bressett had a very nice group of Conders.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

By "notable collectors" do you mean people with impressive collections, or people who created the most positive and meaningful impact on ANA's members ?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of them probably had very impressive collections but did not seek publicity about them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew, there's an awful lot of possibility on that list......

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall correctly, David Bowers had a huge collection of Hard Times Tokens
    as well as Civil War Tokens. I'm sure he discovered many unknown pieces.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my time as a collector beginning in the late 1950s till today I'd say Pittman.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judd's patterns were the basis for the most used numbering system for patterns, eg, when a pattern is labelled J-964 (or whatever) the "J" stands for Judd. So I think Judd belongs on the list of collectors with notable collections.

Sheldon, of course, had a notable collection of large cents, many of which he actually paid money for.

Mark

• Options
    edited July 13, 2019 10:12PM

Just ran across Henry Ole Granberg, 11th ANA President, and previous owner of the now Simpson 1885 Proof Trade Dollar, known as the Granberg Specimen.

What's even more interesting to me is that he was a member of the United States Assay Commission under President Woodrow Wilson.

How many ANA Presidents were members of the US Treasury, Mint, or Assay Commission?

• Options
    edited July 13, 2019 10:56PM

In a recent thread it was mentioned that ANA presidents cannot effect much change in just 2 years and I suggested the term be changed to 4 years to better effect change.

It was mentioned ANA Presidents can run for re-election so I decided to see who was the last president who was in office for more than 2 years. Thanks to the post from @CaptHenway, it's easy to see that this is Oscar Henry Dodson who was ANA president from 1957-1961. Of note, he was also a rear admiral in the United States Navy and served in WWII.

If it's been 60 years since a president has served for more than 2 years and we think a longer-than-2-year term is needed, perhaps it does make sense to look at increasing the term as people haven't served for more than 2 years in a long time.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2019 11:26PM

The only presidents who served for more than 2 years:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file