Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A "Box of 20" Collage, to enjoy.

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2019 1:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

After my recent thread about a condition rarity SHQ, I feel a need to cleanse the palate.

Every once in a while I get a few minutes to play around on the computer. Even though my collection has bloated well beyond a tidy box of 20, the concept is fun and years ago I decided to make a collage of my current favorite 20 coins. I've updated and changed it several times over the years. It makes a nice screen saver to enjoy while the coins sleep far away in the SDB. The included coins aren't always the 20 most valuable, but in different ways they're the most meaningful.

Here's the current version:

From the upper left, proceeding clockwise:

Peace dollar - The prettiest 1921 I've ever seen and perhaps my favorite coin. Great story too.
Half Dime - The no-stars design is just gorgeous.
Indian Cent - The coin is great and this is one of my favorite photos.
3-dollar gold - The odd way this came to my collection was fun. It's an AU64.
Seated Dollar - Prettier and more enjoyable than its grade would suggest.
Seated Quarter - Wow. BOOMING, deep luster and gorgeous toning. Surprisingly, a 15k mintage coin.
Half Eagle - An XF Dahlonega coin with an old, photogenic look.
Barber Dime - A little jewel with exquisite detail.
Capped Bust Half - Character and luster. Only some rim squishiness keeps it out of a gem holder.
3 cent silver- Don't you just love the "O" mint-mark? You don't always need the most common date in a type set.
Draped Bust Half - Secondary toning, of course, but really nice secondary toning.
Coronet Lg. Cent - Almost certainly a Randall hoard coin. Nice blue/chocolate toning and sharp detail.
Flowing Hair Dollar - I love the deep clash marks on this coin. Cool story on how it came to me too.
SLQ - A monstrously gorgeous coin. I like color, but color over tremendous luster is sooooo nice.
St. Gaudens - This coin is under-graded. It just is. The surface texture and luster is so enjoyable.
Merc Dime - One of my favorite designs. Flashy color.
Sm. Eagle Dollar - Again, a great story and a nice ending to a long hunt.
Bust Eagle - A story for later......
Classic Half Cent - Gorgeous coins are out there. A bit of red, sharp detail, and solid. Cool.
Pilgrim - A wow coin. Designed by my cousin (4 times removed), rainbow rims, rattler OGH holder, so fun to look at.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file