Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

George Joseph Bauer - 17th ANA President

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2019 7:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across George Joseph Bauer's ANA recognition medals, his (17th) ANA President medal and his 50th Anniversary medal. Not only was he the 17th ANA President, he was Cincinnati, Ohio's first full time dealer, having moved there from his Rochester, NY home town. He actually had 3 different ANA membership numbers: 93, 55, and finally 1450. While not his first, or last, membership number, his 50th Anniversary medal uses member number 55, his lowest number.

Anyone have stories about George Bauer?

Here's a good article on and photo of George:

https://sites.google.com/site/numismaticmallcom/encyclopedic-dictionary-of-numismatic-biographies/bauer-george-joseph

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-BJBNX/undated-american-numismatic-association-past-president-medal-gold-32-mm-307-grams-900-fine-george-j-bauer-1930-1932-ms-69-ngc

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-554HK/undated-american-numismatic-association-50-year-membership-medal-gold-242-mm-98-grams-10-karat-presented-to-george-j-bauer-no-

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind-a shows how much his descendants valued his ANA presidency....

I wonder where they found the grammar school kid to "engrave" his name on the 50-year medal?

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 8:53AM

@RogerB said:
    Kind-a shows how much his descendants valued his ANA presidency....

That or collectors bidding in the auction ;)

I think it’s okay to sell if there’s people that will appreciate it more. Not everyone collects. I wonder if collectors will ever value these more.

I wonder where they found the grammar school kid to "engrave" his name on the 50-year medal?

Research project?

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 10:46AM

Here he is in the 1912 in the official ANA Convention photo

And here is the neat Storecard he issued (photos from an esylum article because mine is buried away)

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RINATIONALS If the people pictured in your photo of the 1912 ANA convention could somehow be transported to today, I wonder how may of them would participate in this chat board? I'm willing to guess it would be a decently large fraction.

Mark

• Options

Now I understand why the family is selling the medals --- Bauer is wearing a derby in the 1912 photo. Derbys were worn only by barristers and undertakers.

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Now I understand why the family is selling the medals --- Bauer is wearing a derby in the 1912 photo. Derbys were worn only by barristers and undertakers.

Lol well there is a hats off photo as well, had to split the pair with a friend.

Mark- I'm sure they would be, attendees included Adams, Newcomb, Dr. French and the Chapmans. Interestingly the two women are listed as Miss Ruth Merritt probably related to F.E. Merritt In the back row and Miss Lira Snow who I have no clue about

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2019 1:01AM

@RogerB said:

It's hard to tell if you're joking or not but derbys were most popular hat in the West, popular with people in all kinds of professions, including cowboys and railroad workers. They were also worn by the Wright brothers.

Here's some info:

The bowler, not the cowboy hat or sombrero, was the most popular hat in the American West, prompting Lucius Beebe to call it "the hat that won the West". Both cowboys and railroad workers preferred the hat because it would not blow off easily in strong wind while riding a horse, or when sticking one's head out the window of a speeding train. It was worn by both lawmen and outlaws, including Bat Masterson, Butch Cassidy, Black Bart, and Billy the Kid. In the United States the hat came to be known commonly as the derby, and American outlaw Marion Hedgepeth was commonly referred to as "the Derby Kid".

Here's a photo of the Wright Brothers:

• Options

@RINATIONALS said:

Great photos! I'm a big fan of these vintage photos. It’s great to see everyone wearing their medals. I haven’t been able to find a close up of the ribbon with the oval on top her.

For some reason, the person on the bottom row, 3rd from the left, reminds me of the actor Victor Garber.

• Options

A Derby was good because you could keep your lunch cool on a piece of ice under the dome.

(Zoins - I was kidding about the Derby -- we don't have barristers in the US.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file