Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would you grade this card?

Its in a PSA 10 holder. This is a true head scratcher for me....

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Comments

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Those colored borders are tough. Looks like two corners slightly touched. On a white border you probably wouldn't even notice them. 9.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Did that get a PD for what looks like some snow on the boarder??

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭

I have sent in cards with no corner problems nd received a 9
    I would not even have sent that one in....maybe because it is a trout

I give it an 8

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised it got a PSA 10 with those corners. But I'm not familiar with that card -- is it a difficult card with that gold border in general?

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    Did that get a PD for what looks like some snow on the boarder??

That "snow" could be produced by the scanner. I've been getting that with my scans the last few times. I just have to get the adjustment back to where it was.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Its not my card so couldnt say for sure about the "snow". Agree that its most likely the scanner.

I actively collect PSA 10 Trout base golds and cannot believe that this one is in a 10 holder. With two obvious corner touches I wouldnt have even submitted this card.

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Def not a 10...8.5?

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, as with all grading companies, sometimes damage happens after the card is graded. If the slabber is not careful or rushed, corners can get touched. I think that's the case with this card. No way a grader is going to miss two obvious touched corners.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 10:39PM

@lawnmowerman said:
    Unfortunately, as with all grading companies, sometimes damage happens after the card is graded. If the slabber is not careful or rushed, corners can get touched. I think that's the case with this card. No way a grader is going to miss two obvious touched corners.

I don't know. How do the corners get worn in the case? I could see the edges getting chipped where the bumpers are but there doesn't appear to be any contact point for the corners to receive damage.

Steve
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 5:15AM

@slum22 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

I don't know. How do the corners get worn in the case? I could see the edges getting chipped where the bumpers are but there doesn't appear to be any contact point for the corners to receive damage.

The slab isn't causing the damage. It's the person doing the slabbing. Years ago I sent in a sub and 10 consecutive cards had slight white touches on the lower left corner that were not there previously. The cards were all graded 10. Someone wasn't being careful handling the cards during the slabbing process. PSA agreed and compensated me with vouchers.

ETA: picture a card being installed into a slab. If the person installing it happens to misjudge the angle of placement and put too much much pressure on the one or two corners that contact the slab first, corner touches can easily happen