Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Here's 1 for @Wondercoin

This came in an old collection I bought around 20 years ago. @wondercoin

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, Anyone bother to look this one up? I figured a great discussion would follow!

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is it a counterfeit - or do you think it is the first real one discovered?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 0 appears to look ok. Do You think they soldered/glued the 1 and S on a 1920 or is there something else you see in hand?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is this a topic for Wondercoin?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

From what I can tell that is what was done. It's a shame because the 1920 is a bit better date. The skill executed on this piece is off the charts. Who ever did it could've probably done it with any date. The only evidence around the date(other than the 2nd 1 being a bit lighter in color and ever so slightly different from the 1st 1) is the slightest depression around where the 2 probably was.

@Oldhoopster said:
    The 0 appears to look ok. Do You think they soldered/glued the 1 and S on a 1920 or is there something else you see in hand?

• Options

Hmmmm, am I confusing him with someone else? Hasn't he been talking about Philippines stuff and his son handling a stellar collection of Philippine coins?

@bidask said:

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmmm, am I confusing him with someone else? Hasn't he been talking about Philippines stuff and his son handling a stellar collection of Philippine coins?

@bidask said:

Yes, you are correct.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

There is no "S" on the 1920 ten centavo it was a Manila Mint date it is usually written as 1920(M) indicating that
    its from the Manila mint and there is no Mint mark.

Could be a modified 1911-S, 1912-S, 1913-S or 1918-S ( usually this the date they are made from, its most common), 1919-S.

The lighter coloration around the "second "1" and especially the "0" are suspect. Must be examined in hand/ microscope to be sure about clued on
    "0". die characteristics can be compared to each of these other possible dates.

One dealer is offering $100,00K for a real one of this date.

one was reliably seen in the manila Mints collection prior to the WWII wars mint destruction.

More than several have been rejected by PCGS , and NGC. Though one slipped through and was slabbed by NGC many feel it too is counterfeit. They have not bought it back. PCGS had to buy one they slabbed back I had heard.
    We in the Philippine collectors community have clued PCGS in on some counterfeits coming out of the Philippines last few years, hoping to fool the graders. I have seen others much worse made..

Krueger
    Philippine Specilaist 45 years.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall