Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a first ?

This is not a big deal, but just something I've never come across before, and wonder if anyone else has come across this too. So I only buy 7's , 8's, and 9's of Bobby Orr cards, crack them open, and send them to Florida to have Bobby sign. I am also a huge centering freak, so when I saw this 6, I had to have it.

The centering on it is just perfect for this issue, and the image is very sharp. So I get it in the mail today, crack it out, and notice it's a 7 at worst. I look closer, and there's wax all over the front of the card. I take out my trusty static guard sheet, and do some "restoration".

Have you ever bought a graded card with wax on the front, or is this a first ?

Comments

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased PSA 8's with wax on the front.

I have never felt guilty at all about removing OPC wax from the front of a card.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't think wax on the card is a big deal. I've gotten cards before with wax on them.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there were several people targeting any 86F BkB stickers with a ST qualifier to remove wax and resub.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at the wax as being part of its natural state.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card. Wiping off wax is fine as long as you don't scratch the card surface.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought some 7ST cards before, wiped the wax off, and gotten 8s and 9s back.

One was even wax on the back. True story.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was opening wax back in the 70's and 80's the wax stains were almost
    always on the back resulting in a huge stain and a garbage can full of said cards.
    Wax stain on the front of a card, now I know I'm not living right!!

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

I never even consider buying BVG. Now I am going to have to re-think this!

• Options

eBay used to be a harvest festival for buying both graded and raw with removable wax smudges on front surfaces, not so much now, but my junk drawer still houses the trusty bandana used for cleaning.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 7:29PM

I bought a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan sticker graded PSA 9st, and paid about the price that 8’s were going for. I knew if the qualifier was due to a wax stain that I could take it off, because that card has gloss on the front and back. Sure enough, I cleaned it, resubbed, and got a straight 9 on it. Nowadays, collectors are pretty savvy about buying those cards, so the prices went up.