Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Should I have these auto's graded?

I'm not crazy about the blue flip anyway, but do any of you guys think it would be beneficial to have these autographs graded?

Comments

• My rule of thumb is to have the autos graded if you think they'll grade 8 or higher... From those scans, they all look to be 8+, so I'd say 'yes'.

DesertIceSports.Com

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very beautiful. It's up to you on the grading, but they are a pleasure to see. Thanks for posting.

• soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input guys!

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with all, especially if intent is to resell. If no intent to resell, it may not be worth the money spent

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Would definitely get them graded

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

The bottom Williams will get a 9 due to the auto running off the bottom of the card. Other 2 looks like 10s.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question here.....does it really matter? I don't get the grading of autos at all. Does it look good to you?? If yes, great. Who cares what the numerical grade is on an auto. I get it if there was a smear or fading, but then you probably wouldn't be buying it anyway. And although I admittedly don't pay much attention to the grade on autos at all, I don't seem to seem many that aren't 9's and 10's anyhow.
    I'm old, I get confused easily so maybe there is something I'm missing??

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @PROMETHIUS88 ... For folks who collect auto's it matters just like the grading of a card.... the higher the grade the higher the value...... :)B) ... especially for HOF'ers like Teddy Ballgame.....if your talking a Ron Hodges auto...I wouldn't consider an auto grade unless it were a set completion for the registry.

I just don't get how they judge an auto. They change over time, medical conditions can make them look worse. I don't condemn anyone who collects them that way, I just can't wrap my head around it. Those examples look amazing above so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't get 9's or 10's and couldn't tell you the difference in either grade. I guess that the majority of the ones I've seen are in BGS holders and I just assumed that they don't give out anything less than a 9 because I've never seen one. And honestly, I can't even recall the one or two cards that I saw with 9's. I just assumed they had the holders pre-stamped with all 10's, lol!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Tim. While I don’t condemn anybody who wants their autos graded, I personally think it’s a gimmick. If an auto isn’t bold then I won’t collect it. If it is bold, and attractive to me, I’ll buy/collect it and it doesn’t matter to me if somebody said the auto itself is a 7 or a 10.

On the other hand, while I feel the way outlined above, I’m sure guys who collect raw cards only have said something similar: “the card looks good to me and I’m happy to own it. I don’t care what number some stranger assigned to it.”

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Agree with all, especially if intent is to resell. If no intent to resell, it may not be worth the money spent

That's my position as well. Nice autographs.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal preference is that I'm not a fan at all of "Trading Card" being on the flip, so now that the blue flips no longer specify the card's year/set/number, I like all my autos to be in red flips that include that info, as long as the card is a real card (like your Williams above). For the reprint cards, it does not matter much to me which type of red vs. blue they are in.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    My personal preference is that I'm not a fan at all of "Trading Card" being on the flip, so now that the blue flips no longer specify the card's year/set/number, I like all my autos to be in red flips that include that info, as long as the card is a real card (like your Williams above). For the reprint cards, it does not matter much to me which type of red vs. blue they are in.

PSA/DNA did away with blue flips. All subbed autos are given red flips now.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox