Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Something my father-in-law left me

A little back story first.

My wife’s dad loved to go to garage sales, flea markets, etc. He was always looking for that one gem he could buy cheap and then flip for big money. He’d hit on a few things that he’d turn around and sell just enough to keep him going back.

From time to time he’d pick up a few boxes or a tub of cards and bring them to me. He knew nothing about cards and would always tell me it wouldn’t break his heart if there was nothing there and I just wanted to throw them away. I’d go through and pull out the mid early to mid 90s star cards but rarely ever had a big find. He’d always ask later if I found anything and I’d always say there were a few nice cards, “pulled a few good Cowboys.” That usually was enough for him.

Some times he’d stop by the house while we were at work and drop things off in my office where I keep all my autographs and cards. It’s the one room in the house that’s mine. Once I came in and found a box of old super bowl programs and another time there was a framed signed OJ Simpson USC jersey. We hung it in my office a few years ago and he said I might be the only person hanging an OJ jersey right now.

A little over a year ago he passed away and my mother in law has been spending more and more time at the house. I figured we would eventually get here, but my wife talked to me yesterday about her moving in with us and we are going to have to convert my office into a bedroom. That also means most of my stuff has to come off the walls and bookshelves.

I started working on it today and found a box in the closet I’ve never seen before. Either my father in law put it there or I just assumed it was one of my and I put it there, but I didn’t recognize anything in the box. I started going through it, and it was the most random mix of cards and other items, including a ziplock bag of starting lineups, 1990 classic games baseball set and cards ranging from the 60s to early 90s. There was stack of upper deck Brett Farve rookies in the same box as a 72 Joe Namath, a hand signed Sean Elliot card and a Peyton Manning 98 collectors edge autographed card.

Of all the boxes and boxes of stuff he ever gave me, this was hands down the best find. Of course his first question would be “how much can you sell it for?” But he would have loved to know he got a pretty good deal. Pictured are a few of things that were in the box.

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really cool cards and great story line.

Thanx for sharing.

Mike
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear that someone's father in-law was nice guy. :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry for the loss of your father in law. Really cool cards. I also love flea markets, and garage sales. Thanks for sharing a really great story.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the local stores in MI selling the Classic sets. I recall that Kay Bee toys blasted out their inventory for $2-$3 each. There were stacks of 1987 yellow box sets but I was too smart to buy them (insert sarcasm).

Mike
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your loss but this is a cool story.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really great story.

Shane