Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Have you changed your eBay buying habits since they started collecting sales tax?

Sales tax is collected all throughout our daily lives, and no one really thinks twice about paying it (restaurant, local retailers, etc....), but eBay, for the most part, had been safe from it. I believe that when it comes to fun hobby purchases that aren't really "needed", many (not all) try to find the cheapest price available, but eBay's collection of sales tax now will make that harder to do.

I was mostly a small buyer on eBay anyway with a bigger purchase here or there throughout the years, but I will be using them as little as possible now for my bigger purchases because of it. I imagine lots of buyers across the board (big and small) will be re-thinking their buying habits on eBay. This can't be good for sellers, or eBay's bottom line.

I understand that a small purchase to some might be a big purchase to others and vice versa, and if it is a rare item then you will still make that purchase anyway, but with eBay now collecting sales tax in some states (and others being added soon), has it/will it change your buying habits?

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I am an ungraded set and variations collector. I think if I wanted or needed a card I would just try to factor the sales tax into the price I was willing to pay or bid, much like I do buyers premiums, shipping and tax in major auctions. Admittedly though it will be more complicated since whether a tax applies and how much is not likely to be clear in many eBay auctions.

Interesting question. The way I collect I do not think it will be a major factor for me

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

If everyone that is threatening to leave the platform actually follows through, then I anticipate I'll be buying more. The reduced competition, either in number of bidders or the level at which max bids are placed, should result in overall lower prices for the items I purchase, even after sales tax is calculated.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I see a Joe Louis card that needs to be rescued from the Ebay ocean, then I'm diving in, no matter what. Hold on Joe, buddy, I'm coming to get ya.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭

For now those in non tax states have a big advantage.
    My buying has dropped considerably.
    My total disgust for New York politics and super big spending just reached new low.
    That I didn't think was possible.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

If there is a card I desire I'm not going to let sales tax from having it my collection.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I now limit my buying to just a few players and really try to take advantage of any promotions. Nice little win for card shows.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already pay sales tax for everything else I buy, why would I stop buying on ebay because they now charge sales tax?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I already pay sales tax for everything else I buy, why would I stop buying on ebay because they now charge sales tax?

This. Prior to now i would pay use tax anyway.

• vols1vols1 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I don't think I have seen any tax added. Alabama says the online tax is for retailers with in-state sales of more than $250K.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 10:51AM

No - I never look - like Al - if needed - figure it in bidding.

Mike
  • Want to avoid paying eBay sales tax on top of an already inflated eBay price? It's actually easy...

Buy off-eBay!!

The vast majority of eBay's sports card sellers have all their inventory available elsewhere for less than they're willing to sell for in an eBay deal... So, how do you find them??

• Google the seller
    • Look for the seller on facebook
    • Look for the seller's website
    • Search your previously purchased items and see if you've bought from that seller in the past... If so, contact them directly.
    • Post a message on this board, asking if anyone has bought from a specific seller... If someone has, get their contact info through a PM. (Maybe someone here can compile a list of eBay sellers and their contact info.??)

Afraid you won't be protected in an off-eBay purchase?? Just pay with PayPal... You'll have the same protections.

I know so many of you love using your eBay Bucks, but just do the math... Even with the Bucks promotions, you'll usually come out ahead going off-eBay, and if you save on the sales tax, you'll come out WAY ahead.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Yes, as well as with Heritage Auctions

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭

We should all feel fortunately, actually, that it has taken this long to implement sales tax. The non-taxing of online items has been an issue since e-commerce began.

• demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Might buy more if non-resellers truly buy less. I imagine a lot more people will be getting reseller cert's though since a lot of buyers are really just buying to sell. Heavy buyers should have either been doing that or paying use tax already. The penalties, if caught, could be enormous.

Dealers shouldn't be hurt much by this. If sales prices go down, it simply means their reseller certificates will create an advantage as buyers. The smart sellers will probably figure out a way to come out ahead.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    Want to avoid paying eBay sales tax on top of an already inflated eBay price? It's actually easy...

Buy off-eBay!!

The vast majority of eBay's sports card sellers have all their inventory available elsewhere for less than they're willing to sell for in an eBay deal... So, how do you find them??

• Google the seller
    • Search your previously purchased items and see if you've bought from that seller in the past... If so, contact them directly.
    • Post a message on this board, asking if anyone has bought from a specific seller... If someone has, get their contact info through a PM. (Maybe someone here can compile a list of eBay sellers and their contact info.??)

Afraid you won't be protected in an off-eBay purchase?? Just pay with PayPal... You'll have the same protections.

I know so many of you love using your eBay Bucks, but just do the math... Even with the Bucks promotions, you'll usually come out ahead going off-eBay, and if you save on the sales tax, you'll come out WAY ahead.

This has motivated me to increase my on-line presence. As a CA buyer, my bids will be lowered, which most likely means I will buy less.

Mike
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

My brother's buying habits have changed. He now asks me to make some purchases for him because no sales tax yet for me. The taxes can add up on larger purchases. It's a win-win as he lets me keep the eBay Bucks, and I save him the sales tax. He's only done this on a couple of larger purchases ($800+). We are currently waiting for an eBay Bucks promo to get even more of a savings on a Buy-it-Now card that he wants.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    Want to avoid paying eBay sales tax on top of an already inflated eBay price? It's actually easy...

Buy off-eBay!!

• Google the seller

That's all very true but most people won't attempt to buy direct from the seller even if it's somebody they've dealt with before and they know them very well. The simplicity of seeing something, paying and being all done with the whole transaction in less than 10 seconds is quite appealing to most people. The alternative means you will now have to invest an indefinite amount of time establishing contact with the seller and messaging back and forth ironing out all the details on the terms of the sale and payment. If you're lucky depending on the timing of when you see something and seller schedule this will take less than half a day, and if you're lucky you won't lose "your" card to somebody else while waiting for a response. It's not as simple as just doing the math. Buyers and sellers can be flaky and it's always easier just to hit that button.

• That's all very true but most people won't attempt to buy direct from the seller even if it's somebody they've dealt with before and they know them very well. The simplicity of seeing something, paying and being all done with the whole transaction in less than 10 seconds is quite appealing to most people. The alternative means you will now have to invest an indefinite amount of time establishing contact with the seller and messaging back and forth ironing out all the details on the terms of the sale and payment. If you're lucky depending on the timing of when you see something and seller schedule this will take less than half a day, and if you're lucky you won't lose "your" card to somebody else while waiting for a response. It's not as simple as just doing the math. Buyers and sellers can be flaky and it's always easier just to hit that button.

I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous reason I can think of... Hitting the 'buy now' button on someone's website takes exactly the same amount of time and energy as doing it on eBay... In fact, it's a lot FASTER than making an eBay offer and waiting for a response... And, contacting the seller directly? When someone contacts me, I get back to them ASAP... If it takes you half a day to put a deal together, you're doing something very, very wrong.

Keep in mind that buying off-ebay benefits the BUYER more than the seller... Personally, I won't sell a $450 card on eBay for $450; I'll want around $500 to cover my seller's fees... But that card is available in a direct PayPal transaction or on my website for $450.

If you enjoy paying 10% above market value, by all means, keep buying on eBay.

DesertIceSports.Com

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

That's all very true but most people won't attempt to buy direct from the seller even if it's somebody they've dealt with before and they know them very well. The simplicity of seeing something, paying and being all done with the whole transaction in less than 10 seconds is quite appealing to most people. The alternative means you will now have to invest an indefinite amount of time establishing contact with the seller and messaging back and forth ironing out all the details on the terms of the sale and payment. If you're lucky depending on the timing of when you see something and seller schedule this will take less than half a day, and if you're lucky you won't lose "your" card to somebody else while waiting for a response. It's not as simple as just doing the math. Buyers and sellers can be flaky and it's always easier just to hit that button.

I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous reason I can think of... Hitting the 'buy now' button on someone's website takes exactly the same amount of time and energy as doing it on eBay... In fact, it's a lot FASTER than making an eBay offer and waiting for a response... And, contacting the seller directly? When someone contacts me, I get back to them ASAP... If it takes you half a day to put a deal together, you're doing something very, very wrong.

Keep in mind that buying off-ebay benefits the BUYER more than the seller... Personally, I won't sell a $450 card on eBay for $450; I'll want around $500 to cover my seller's fees... But that card is available in a direct PayPal transaction or on my website for $450.

While I agree with you about setting up a direct channel, the lure of the bargain will continue to drive dollars to ebay. So you will still need a presence. I'm waiting to see if all of this news (including the PWCC saga) hits auction prices. So far I don't think it has, but this could be the buying surge before the sales tax kicks in.

Mike
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Surely there are some law abiding citizens here who when buying cards in situations where a sales tax was not applied dutifully paid the required use tax, and so none of this matters to them

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • @ndleo said:

While I agree with you about setting up a direct channel, the lure of the bargain will continue to drive dollars to ebay. So you will still need a presence. I'm waiting to see if all of this news (including the PWCC saga) hits auction prices. So far I don't think it has, but this could be the buying surge before the sales tax kicks in.

Bargain? On eBay? You must be a newbie.

I have no plans to discontinue my eBay presence (although eBay constantly seems to be trying to force me out)

DesertIceSports.Com

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Get a PO box in Delware. Problem solved.

• @ndleo said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@ndleo said:

I have no plans to discontinue my eBay presence (although eBay constantly seems to be trying to force me out)

Actually I joined CU in 2001 and been on ebay 20 years as a buyer and seller.

Yes if you actually look on ebay there are bargains to be had. Sorry if you can't bid correctly.

And, virtually every single one of those things you bought was available off-eBay, for cheaper than you paid... If you enjoy paying 10% more, by all means, buy everything on eBay... But, eBay is becoming more and more antiquated every day due to the fact that people are realizing they have choices, so do yourself a favor, and don't be left in the dust.

DesertIceSports.Com

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@ndleo said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@ndleo said:

Actually I joined CU in 2001 and been on ebay 20 years as a buyer and seller.

Yes if you actually look on ebay there are bargains to be had. Sorry if you can't bid correctly.

And, virtually every single one of those things you bought was available off-eBay, for cheaper than you paid... If you enjoy paying 10% more, by all means, buy everything on eBay... But, eBay is becoming more and more antiquated every day due to the fact that people are realizing they have choices, so do yourself a favor, and don't be left in the dust.

@Desert_Ice_Sports OK, we get it. You don’t like eBay. We are smart enough to shop on multiple websites, not like you have revolutionary concept.

Back to the topic at hand. I am not currently charged sales tax, but when I am I will just factor it into my overall cost and bid accordingly. And yes, compare the total cost to what other dealers (including local) are selling it for.

• @NGS428 said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports OK, we get it. You don’t like eBay. We are smart enough to shop on multiple websites, not like you have revolutionary concept.

It's funny that you think that, because the vast majority of collectors DON'T shop elsewhere... I'm just trying to help buyers save a little money, so there's no reason to get snippy.

DesertIceSports.Com

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Snippy:

Like you know what everyone bought and how much we paid and we all got ripped off or something.

Yeah. No bargains at all out of the 1000's of things available.....

And, virtually every single one of those things you bought was available off-eBay, for cheaper than you paid...
    Again. Some sort of clairvoyance. Everyone must be too dumb to look elsewhere.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• @krisd3279 said:
    Snippy:

Like you know what everyone bought and how much we paid and we all got ripped off or something.

Yeah. No bargains at all out of the 1000's of things available.....

And, virtually every single one of those things you bought was available off-eBay, for cheaper than you paid...
    Again. Some sort of clairvoyance. Everyone must be too dumb to look elsewhere.

Oh, brother...

{epic faceplam}

DesertIceSports.Com

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I can pick out some more of your snippy comments throughout this thread and attempt to explain why they aren't perceived as helpful, but I'm guessing that would be a waste of time. I'll just stop here and go back to collating the 96 Topps that I paid way too much for on EBAY. <-- I can do sarcasm too....

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• @krisd3279 said:
    I can pick out some more of your snippy comments throughout this thread and attempt to explain why they aren't perceived as helpful, but I'm guessing that would be a waste of time. I'll just stop here and go back to collating the 96 Topps that I paid way too much for on EBAY. <-- I can do sarcasm too....

Sweet Lord, it's like conversing with Donald Trump...

I'm sorry, I won't try to help anyone here again.

DesertIceSports.Com

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@krisd3279 said:

Sweet Lord, it's like conversing with Donald Trump...

I'm sorry, I won't try to help anyone here again.

Welcome to the forum. This is a community here. Chill a bit on the lecturing and political statements. Thank you for your opinion. Respect others as well.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:54AM

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Yes, I switched my mailing address to my wife's office over the river in Illinois from our residence in Iowa. No tax yet!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@JakeR2234 said:
    Yes, I switched my mailing address to my wife's office over the river in Illinois from our residence in Iowa. No tax yet!

I think you're the only person who's looking to come to Illinois! Everyone else is leaving!

@swish54 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

I think you're the only person who's looking to come to Illinois! Everyone else is leaving!

Ha!

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 5:08AM

Its hard to get a paypal address from a ebay seller.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's because e bay doesn't allow e mail addresses in messages. they monitor all messages and you could get banned for doing it or any attempt to sell offline

• vols1vols1 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 8:25PM

@coinpalice said:
    that's because e bay doesn't allow e mail addresses in messages. they monitor all messages and you could get banned for doing it or any attempt to sell offline

Sellers usually Just add it as an attachment to the message. Very easy.

@vols1 said:

@coinpalice said:

Sellers usually Just add it as an attachment to the message. Very easy.

This, especially if handwritten or spelled out in word format in cursive. This defeats their machine learning tech. Handwritten msgs via pics pass through. Screen captures or electronic text generally gets flagged.