Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991 Ultra Break

I picked up 3 boxes of 1991 Ultra from @softparade . I decided to open one tonight. I'm putting together a complete set.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

Comments

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

These are typically difficult to find in good condition due to the silver borders. I'm a few packs in and they are looking really good so far. Corners are sharp and no edge damage on any of them. I'm not sure the history on these boxes, but it seems like they were well taken care of.

Kris

12 Packs down. Nice collection of stars. Nice stack of team stickers.

Kris

All the normal suspects made an appearance (or two).

This box was in much better condition than the last box of these I got from EBAY. Thanks to Dan for a good deal on the 3 clean boxes. Good to know I have two more boxes in the closet. Now I have to sort through these and see how many more I need for a complete set.

Kris

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing the break. Those Griffey and Thomas cards bring back good memories. Your Griffey looks dead centered from the picture. Congrats on the clean box! Dan is certainly one of the good guys on the boards...

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting in 1992, therefore several 1991 releases were of interest. The players I was enjoying to find at that time were in Ultra. Nolan Ryan, Cecil Fielder, Travis Fryman and Andre Dawson are just a few that immediately come to mind. I lived in Florida at the time and Jeff Conine was making some noise with the newly expanded Marlins. That created interest in his RC. Interestingly, card #23 is such a great action card and anyone who watches MLB TV can appreciate the significance:

Thanks for sharing these. :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are in very nice condition. I started collecting in 1991, so those bring back fond memories.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when those came out. I thought they looked so cool. They are still nice looking cards

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Thanks for all the comments guys. These bring back memories for sure. When they came out only one place in town had them. I remember thinking how expensive they were. I was only able to get a few packs when I was young. I guess there are a few good things to being old and having a little extra money. I can have all the 'toys' I couldn't have when I was a kid :smile:

Kris

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you started your set? How's the collation? Are you
    going to send some for grading? Those were good times!!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like fun @krisd3279 !

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I remember when those came out. I thought they looked so cool. They are still nice looking cards

Yeah I agree. I also liked the update set.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the ultra cards would have been better if they made glossy version.

Check out the next year.

Kris

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Ken Griffey Sr when he was with the M's...did you not get a Jr. card in the box?

@Tibor said:
    Have you started your set? How's the collation? Are you
    going to send some for grading? Those were good times!!

I had a small stack of these left from years ago so I decided to collect the whole set. I had previously purchased a box on EBAY. With this latest box opening I am missing 10 of the base cards and 1 of the gold cards. I'm also missing the Twins and Brewers team stickers. That's not terrible collation I suppose for a 400 card set. I'm not going to grade them. They'll just be in a binder at some point.

Now I have to decide if I open another box for the few cards I need or go to Sportslots :smile: I think if I opened another box I would be close to a second complete set.

Kris

@Kep13 said:
    Ken Griffey Sr when he was with the M's...did you not get a Jr. card in the box?

I got 1 Jr and 1 Sr. I actually didn't notice Sr was in the stack I took a picture of until later. I thought I had 2 Jr :smile: I must be getting senile.

Kris