Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Private possession of old coining dies - a little background

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This letter from collector Montroville W. Dickeson, MD, to Mint Director Linderman provides interesting background to ownership & possession of old US Mint dies.

"Philadelphia
July 14, 1875

Hon. H. Linderman

Dear Sir:
Pardon me Sir for the liberty I take in addressing you upon a subject which must be unpleasant to us both. Some time ago I advertised a sale of coins etc., among which were some old U.S. dies, which I purchased from a lock smith in 7th Street above Market, which he purchased with iron rubbish from the Old Mint. For years it has been known by collectors that these Old U.S. dies were in existence in Mickley, Cline, my own and other collections; and did not suppose that we in any way were liable to prosecution in holding then.

On the day of my sale, Dr. M.C. Wilkins called upon me, stating that the Director of the Mint desired that I would withdraw the U.S. Dies, and he, the Dr., would call on the next day, and get them with my bill which he would pay. I notified Mr. Birch of the matter, and he recommended me to bid them in myself, as it might create a feeling with the buyers if withdrawn. I did; some of which were at a high figure. The Dr. came, took the dies (charging the Mint only the amount your Honor [i.e., Linderman – ed.] allowed to be paid to Mr. Kline during your Directorship, which he sent in). The Dr. remarked that the Director was absent from the city, and on his return would bring me the amount of [my] bill, which he did not do so for several months. When I called on him, he remarked that I had better see the Director, for he could get nothing satisfactory from him.

I called upon the Director, and to my utter surprise I was received very uncourteous, amounting to abuse, and a threat to prosecute me to attempting to sell the Government’s property. I endeavored to make a statement of facts, but he cut my discourse by ringing a small bell when his usher came, and which amounted to as much as saying: “See this person out,” I left the Mint under quite different feelings from my former visit when I held a white card from the Secretary of the Treasury as also from the Director to examine all Mint statistics for my Numismatic Manual.

Shortly after, I was taken down with brain fever which deprived me for upwards of two years, of attending to business of any kind. The think still worries me, and I have consent to have the thing brought to a clearance. I have lately advised with parties formerly to the Mint and Mint Officers, and they invariably advise me to address you on the subject. If you will pardon me intruding on your valuable time and advise me how I shall proceed, you will much oblige, yours
Most Respectfully,
Montroville W. Dickeson, MD

[Note: Based on incidents mentioned by the author, the “Director” referred to was James Pollock, predecessor to Linderman’s second term.]

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad behavior on the part of the Mint. A most interesting letter.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is Dickeson never got a dime, much less a simple answer to his query.
    Lance.

• Options

Linderman and his successors actively sought out old dies, bought them and had them destroyed. The Mickley collection auction is a notable example.

• Options

This is self-explanatory. Other letters describe preceding events and identification of the dies.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

"Dr. Dickeson is finished!"
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=JRbp40b0B50

• Options

Sorry -- Didn't understand it -- but without sound or picture the video was a little vague. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 2:18PM

Interesting turn of events as cancelled Mint dies are now collectible, and even sold by the Mint with promotional material on occasion.

• Options

Very interesting Roger. Thanks for posting both letters.

Free Daily Blog and Your Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions Answered - www.AskTheCoinDealer.com

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, excellent information. I would love to have the 1806 dime obverse die!

The Dickeson letter is another piece of the puzzle to his fantasy pieces, which I have been doing on-going research. As the dies were from the Mint, Dickeson assumed they were coinage dies, which they were not (at least for his fantasies). The Mint (Eckfeldt, Scot, and Reich) made hundreds of tax revenue stamp dies that were used to raise revenue for the Quasi War, First Barbary War, and the War of 1812. One of the stamp dies used for the Dickeson fantasies was modified in an interesting way.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file