Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do people do with returned inserts on crossovers?

howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I recently received back from PCGS my first attempt at crossovers. I was a bit surprised to find that my return package included inserts from the previous holder (including the large white plastic piece from old style ANACS holders).

What do people do with these returned inserts?

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@howards said:
    I recently received back from PCGS my first attempt at crossovers. I was a bit surprised to find that my return package included inserts from the previous holder (including the large white plastic piece from old style ANACS holders).

It depends. If using ANACS or ICG, you could always email them the certification numbers to update their databases and discard the labels. If NGC and if a star coin or top pop, etc., some registry users might want to have the label so they could list the coin in both registries. In those cases, I try to include the old NGC label when I sell the coin.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 4:27AM

They will help with re-CAC'ing a coin.
    If you care about that sort of thing.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a samwich bag full of them! >:)

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does @PCGS_SocialMedia (@HeatherBoyd) accept photos of crack-out labels to update population reports? If included with a submission would the labels make it to the right place to update the population reports? Is there an other method that is better?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small accumulation of NGC and ANACS inserts. I've considered just taking them to the Long Beach show, and dropping them off of their respective tables. But I'm not sure if they would cheerfully accept them, or if I'd just get dirty looks.

Anyone try that?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@howards said:

It depends. If using ANACS or ICG, you could always email them the certification numbers to update their databases and discard the labels. If NGC and if a star coin or top pop, etc., some registry users might want to have the label so they could list the coin in both registries. In those cases, I try to include the old NGC label when I sell the coin.

So I could pick a bunch of anacs coins for sale on eBay, email the cert numbers to ANACS and they would remove them just like that? I doubt it. Better to send them the actual insert or a photo of same proving that it is not still in the slab.

• Options

@TommyType said:
    I have a small accumulation of NGC and ANACS inserts. I've considered just taking them to the Long Beach show, and dropping them off of their respective tables. But I'm not sure if they would cheerfully accept them, or if I'd just get dirty looks.

Anyone try that?

I expect that they'd accept them either way.

• Options

@ModCrewman said:
    Does @PCGS_SocialMedia (@HeatherBoyd) accept photos of crack-out labels to update population reports? If included with a submission would the labels make it to the right place to update the population reports? Is there an other method that is better?

Well they do pay fiddy cents apiece for them so there's that. Takes months to get your bounty tho.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

Anyone try that?

I've done that. They say "Thank You."

I don't know what they do with them after that, but I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. o:)

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

many times I tape them to the back of the new holder

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think dealers use them for instant credit on their order. Nevertheless, all this silly speculation could be answered with few phone calls.

ICG has a pop report. ICG has not been given back any labels to change the report.

I personally have ----- of PCGS and NGC labels from crack outs that eventually are turned back in to those TPGS's by dealers.

Up to now the ANACS labels go into the trash. I will save them if I find out they are worth something.

Anyway. IMO the pop reports are not accurate but are useful as a guide.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@howards said:

So I could pick a bunch of anacs coins for sale on eBay, email the cert numbers to ANACS and they would remove them just like that? I doubt it. Better to send them the actual insert or a photo of same proving that it is not still in the slab.

If you emailed actual scans of the empty shell or insert, I don't think they would have a problem. If so, I wouldn't pay the postage to do them any favors or invest any significant amount of time in doing it. I would just toss them.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I think dealers use them for instant credit on their order. Nevertheless, all this silly speculation could be answered with few phone calls.

ICG has a pop report. ICG has not been given back any labels to change the report.

I personally have ----- of PCGS and NGC labels from crack outs that eventually are turned back in to those TPGS's by dealers.

Up to now the ANACS labels go into the trash. I will save them if I find out they are worth something.

Anyway. IMO the pop reports are not accurate but are useful as a guide.

I included some with a submission and deducted the amount from what I owed and a few months later a check showed up anyway.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@howards said:

If you emailed actual scans of the empty shell or insert, I don't think they would have a problem. If so, I wouldn't pay the postage to do them any favors or invest any significant amount of time in doing it. I would just toss them.

Fiddy cents for a stamp is nuttin.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put them in a scrap book, where scraps go.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    If so, I wouldn't pay the postage to do them any favors or invest any significant amount of time in >doing it. I would just toss them.

>
    >

Most people feel this way but it doesn't matter since the pop reports have been very inaccurate for a very long time. It's only use is to assess the relative rarity of individual coins within its series.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    many times I tape them to the back of the new holder

I do the same, just keep them !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I send them back.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    They will help with re-CAC'ing a coin.
    If you care about that sort of thing.

Yes but when I send the inserts in with the coin in its new holder, CAC keeps the inserts and probably sends them back to the TPG. Just so those who do this know they won't be getting the inserts back from CAC.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 8:04PM

I tell myself that some day I will find the motivation to send them back.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use packaging tape to laminate them tidily, and then stick them on the back of slabs.

If the coins are going into an album I store them with it.

If the coins are sold and the certs are otherwise useless I keep them, hoping that someday the TPG's will make more generous offers to turn them in. 50¢ is ridiculous. How about 20 for a free grading submission? Not gonna happen. They don't really care about the pops.
    Lance.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I have a samwich bag full of them! >:)

What series?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 11:15PM

@lkeigwin said:
    I use packaging tape to laminate them tidily, and then stick them on the back of slabs.

If the coins are going into an album I store them with it.

If the coins are sold and the certs are otherwise useless I keep them, hoping that someday the TPG's will make more generous offers to turn them in. 50¢ is ridiculous. How about 20 for a free grading submission? Not gonna happen. They don't really care about the pops.
    Lance.

I always imagined that if collectors cared, they would return them for free. Would it be fair to say collectors don't really care about the pops either? Perhaps they are just not that important?

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard from a noted dealer that the TPG services do not always expunge the coin from their data when they receive a returned label.

I am keeping mine to prove for myself that the coin indeed crossed !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep them.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file