Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay Question on Payment not yet Received

Hi All,

I rarely sell on ebay, but after the Raptors won the title, I listed two Kawhi rookie autographs to sell to capitalize on the hype. I sold them both. One of them I sold via a counteroffer, which was accepted. It's been over 48 hours since the counteroffer was accepted and I have not received payment or a response from the buyer to my inquiry earlier today as to whether or not he still wanted the card.

What would common practice be on something like this, i.e. wait x amount of time before canceling the sale, etc?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a seller, but if I were, then I would cancel, because obviously the buyer isn't taking the transaction very serious. As a buyer, I always take my business dealings very serious. I don't give the seller the run-around. That's just my opinion. I'm sure others would handle it different, but that's just my 2 cents.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Yeah, whenever I buy, I always immediately pay. If I accepted a counteroffer, it's easy enough to pay at the same time.

The buyer has a lot of feedback, but it's set to private. No negatives, though.

• Options

In the end, it's up to you, but it's ridiculous. You shouldn't have to chase this person around for answers. It's a buyers responsibility to check messages, and respond to them.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's probably waiting for a 15% off coupon which ebay typically offers near the end of each quarter. They have created that mentality where people who would normally pay immediately now wait a couple days to see if they can save.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give it a a couple of more days. Might be waiting for Ebay bucks offer etc.... Tim beat me to it.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

this has only happened to me once in 21 years of selling, if I remember right you can file a non payment bidder report with e bay after 48 hours I believe. if a buyer gets 3 of these they get kicked off e bay. my buyer ended paying just in time before getting a strike

• Options

Even if he is waiting for ebay bucks, he should at least respond to the sellers messages, and tell him. Let him know something.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I think they have 3 days before you can start a npb case against them. Hopefully they just don't check their account very often and are still interested. Every now and then you'll get a clown who you accept THEIR offer, and then they go silent, never to be heard from again....never understood that unless it's buyers remorse. Those are the worst, but they don't happen very often.

• Options

eBay doesn't give sellers much choice in this situation... You can't unilaterally cancel the transaction; it requires the buyer's approval... You can file NPB after 3 days, but the buyer has several days after that to pay before you can close the case, get your seller's fees back and relist the item... The fact that he's not responding to your messages is annoying, but at this point patience is your only realistic option...

FYI - In the future, you can check a box on the listing page that requires buyers to pay immediately when they use the BIN.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:

The buyer has a lot of feedback, but it's set to private. No negatives, though.

No buyer has negative feedback, at least not in the last, what, ten years?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI - In the future, you can check a box on the listing page that requires buyers to pay immediately when they use the BIN.

Unfortunately, the immediate payment option makes it impossible to put items in the cart and request a combined shipping invoice.

• Options

Thanks, guys. I just didn't know what you would do in this instance. I'd be fine if the buyer just let me know he was waiting to pay for whatever reason, but I can't help but to think he's playing a game. For instance, commit to the card, but wait to see what subsequent cards go for. If they sell for less, he decides not to proceed with the purchase.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

Unfortunately, the immediate payment option makes it impossible to put items in the cart and request a combined shipping invoice.

Just work it out with the seller beforehand... Any good seller will alter their listing or give you free shipping on your other items to compensate for the BIN... If they won't work with you, go elsewhere.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I give things a week
    Not a big seller but as a buyer I wouldn't want to be harassed after just 2 days.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    I give things a week
    Not a big seller but as a buyer I wouldn't want to be harassed after just 2 days.

I guess I'm different. For me, if I commit to buy something, I pay for it immediately because I don't perceive it fair to the seller to wait. The only time I remember buying something and waiting was when I bought something right as the quarter ended and the ebay bucks were going to post the next day. I messaged the seller ahead of time, though, and asked if it was okay, if I won the item, that I wait for the bucks to post.

• Options

Are ebay bucks good for items previously purchased????

I though they were for only items purchased in that specific time period

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Immediate payment required only works on BINs. If seller accepts a buyer's best offer there no way to obtain immediate payment.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Are ebay bucks good for items previously purchased????

I though they were for only items purchased in that specific time period

Bucks, no, though it appears they are upon checkout. Coupons, yes.

• Options

I don't ever get coupons so not familiar with them

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Relax.

If you expect everyone to pay within 2 days you are going to have some issues.

I usually pay immediately, but sometimes I cannot.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I don't ever get coupons so not familiar with them

Same here. How do i get coupons?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Immediate payment required only works on BINs. If seller accepts a buyer's best offer there no way to obtain immediate payment.

True, but if the op wants to eliminate this problem and require payment at the time of purchase, this is the way to do it.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    edited June 22, 2019 9:44AM

For those who are not accustom to paying within 24 hours, do you send a note to the seller, or is it just common practice to expect that people are just going to wait without any communication?

Edited: forget 24 hours - let's say you don't plan on paying for a week. For the buyers out there, how many of you would communicate this to the seller?

• Options

If I were going to wait, I would let the seller know immediately. It's ridiculous to not communicate with the seller. It is a buyers responsibility to check his/her messages, and respond to them immediately. You shouldn't have to chase the buyer around for answers. I never make deals with a seller unless I can pay them immediately.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 10:27AM

@doubledragon said:
    If I were going to wait, I would let the seller know immediately. It's ridiculous to not communicate with the seller. It is a buyers responsibility to check his/her messages, and respond to them immediately. You shouldn't have to chase the buyer around for answers. I never make deals with a seller unless I can pay them immediately.

That’s good on your part. I always pay immediately also, just to make sure I don’t forget. But ebay’s Policy is that a buyer has 48 hours to pay before anything can be done, so I interpret that to mean there is no wrongdoing on the buyer’s part until that window has closed.

If I wish to put off paying in order to obtain combined shipping on future items, I would certainly inform/seek permission from the seller.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

OP did you send a payment/invoice request again to the guy if he still hasn't paid? If he still hasn't paid time to do the non-paying bidder thing and move on.

• Options

@brendanb438 said:
    OP did you send a payment/invoice request again to the guy if he still hasn't paid? If he still hasn't paid time to do the non-paying bidder thing and move on.

I sent an invoice and message to the buyer last Wednesday and left him alone. I received payment yesterday. So far, it all worked out, but it's disappointing that some people don't have the common courtesy to let a seller know that you don't plan on paying for almost a week. This is one of the many reasons I don't like selling and do so sparingly.

Thanks to all for your input!

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

So I guess the "instant payment required" setting doesn't work for counter offers?

• Options

@spanky74 said:
    So I guess the "instant payment required" setting doesn't work for counter offers?

No,that is for BIN listings only. If you accept an offer, you can't force the buyer to pay with your acceptance.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2019 5:55AM

@lahmejoon said:

@brendanb438 said:

I sent an invoice and message to the buyer last Wednesday and left him alone. I received payment yesterday. So far, it all worked out, but it's disappointing that some people don't have the common courtesy to let a seller know that you don't plan on paying for almost a week. This is one of the many reasons I don't like selling and do so sparingly.

Thanks to all for your input!

I sell on ebay and like to get paid right away, so I get it. I am not sure what the exact payment requirements are, but it used to be a week.

Sellers generally get a day or two to ship and unless it's shipped priority, buyer doesn't get the item for a week and sometimes (much) longer.

Sellers save a lot of money being able to use ebay. Relax a little bit. If you can't wait a reasonable time to get paid, you shouldn't sell on ebay. Open a brick and mortar and you get paid on the spot.

edited to add; I am not trying to be argumentative here, just my thoughts.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

while I'm happy you were eventually paid, I was curious as to what the $ amount of the transaction was?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2019 7:46AM

@Ironmanfan said:
    while I'm happy you were eventually paid, I was curious as to what the $ amount of the transaction was?

IMF

$320

ETA: This was a "strike while the iron is hot" sale on my part. Guys on the board have brought up instances where a buyer will commit to a card but decide not to pay when they see subsequent sales go below for what they committed to. This, combined with not hearing a think from the buyer, was the main reason for my anxiety. If subsequent sales closed below what the buyer committed to, then my card has been off the market for a week, where it could have been sold to someone else. So, I bear the risk potentially losing money on the deal. Fortunately, there was another card that sold at auction for basically the same price, so I got current market price on the sale.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

$320

ETA: This was a "strike while the iron is hot" sale on my part. Guys on the board have brought up instances where a buyer will commit to a card but decide not to pay when they see subsequent sales go below for what they committed to. This, combined with not hearing a think from the buyer, was the main reason for my anxiety. If subsequent sales closed below what the buyer committed to, then my card has been off the market for a week, where it could have been sold to someone else. So, I bear the risk potentially losing money on the deal. Fortunately, there was another card that sold at auction for basically the same price, so I got current market price on the sale.

I get that...Right after Stan Musial passed away, I listed an unique signed item.....The high bidder never did pay and by the time I re-listed it, I got about 40% of the original "sale."

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@lahmejoon said:

@Ironmanfan said:

IMF

$320

Glad it worked out for BOTH you and the buyer!