Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any recourse for mis-delivered eBay purchase?

One of my recent eBay purchases is showing as delivered in my mailbox yesterday but the item was not in my mailbox. It was probably misdelivered (I am frequently getting other people's mail - a lot more since I no longer have a regular mail person).
Do I have recourse with eBay or will they just say the item is shown as delivered? I know it is not the seller's fault - just wondering if eBay will reimburse me.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of times it shows up the next day. Have had that happen to me several times - shows delivered but actually comes tomorrow. I would wait until today’s mail delivery before pursuing anything.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

is the replacement mail person contracted help or a actual usps employee? I know their contracted help don't really care because they are underpaid

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I have had some show up the next day in the past but no, today's mail came without it. And my current carriers are the contract type - like I said, I get a lot that is not mine so I think my card may have been in someone else's mailbox. I know it might still turn up.

Daniel
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully your neighbor's are honest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry it did not come today.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's inconsistent at best on how eBay handles it. In general, they'll side with the seller and tell you you're SOL since it shows delivered in your zip code. I did get a refund once or twice from eBay, though I think they ate it and didn't charge the seller back.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    It's inconsistent at best on how eBay handles it. In general, they'll side with the seller and tell you you're SOL since it shows delivered in your zip code. I did get a refund once or twice from eBay, though I think they ate it and didn't charge the seller back.

this is what I hope will happen. I'll give it another day. The seller should not be out but hoping eBay picks it up. It's a $50 purchase - not a great deal but enough that I'd like it back.

Daniel
  • Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Go to your post office with the tracking. They can check the driver's gps records to determine where he was located when the package was scanned as delivered.

Been there, done that and the driver was able to get the package back within 24 hours.

Also possible that it was mis-scanned. USPS scans aren't always honest, but they should be able to tell if that's the case.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I have had problems as well with mail delivery. I have had to go door to door before looking for a card. Inept. Just flat out inept. They have one job. Deliver the mail to the correct address. I have actually had a mail person who was too lazy to knock on my door and get my signature for registered mail. He just sticks a pink slip in my mailbox claiming he knocked on my door, but I wasn't home. He's done this 5 times. Everytime, I end up going to the post office to pick the card up. I complain to them, but yet it continues. Not all postal employees are bad, but some are. I'm glad these people aren't farmers, because popcorn would go extinct.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

As demondeacs said, when a package is scanned at the delivery point the USPS has GPS that shows the location it was scanned.Check with your post office as as soon as you can. If you are a eBay concierge service member, call and speak with a eBay rep. I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I knew my carrier mis-delivered my package because she left several pieces of mail in my box that belonged to my neighbor. Ebay agreed to pay me the cost of the package at their expense. Luckily whoever received the package was honest and returned it to the post office. I received it a week later.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Even postmasters at local PO don't care. I have had this problem many times.
    Unless the recipient is honest you are screwed. Arguing with the P O gives you a good lesson
    in peeing into the wind.
    Some do care but not many.
    Being underpaid is no excuse for doing a job poorly I didn't know the PO employees were underpaid.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I too have major issues with USPS mail delivery. In my neighborhood (townhome community), there are 6 parallel streets of the same length and all 6 have exact same house numbers on every street...mail is mis-delivered DAILY.

For those that purchase frequently via Ebay, etc.: Has anyone considered a PO Box specifically for package deliveries?

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

The USPS scanners do have GPS. The USPS intranet has more detailed information than the customer can see when tracking a package. At the delivery scan a latitude/longitude coordinate is created. USPS can paste and copy the coordinate into google maps and actually pull up a picture of exactly where the package was scanned....
    zoom into the delivery house number if present, rotate up and down the street and give details about the delivery point such as: long driveway, 2 shrubs on the right, picket fence, etc... The key is that the package must be scanned at the delivery point and not in the USPS vehicle or between houses when walking. The contract city carriers are paid just under $20 an hour with no benefits and the career regular carriers are salaried and on a pay scale relevant to years served topping out now at about $31 an hour after 15 years of service or about 65K a year.
    Log a complaint on USPS website. USPS is required to contact you. If not contacted in 2 days do it again.... they get into trouble from upper management for re-opened cases. Be vigilant, you are the customer.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

We had two packages misdelivered last year. Contact the local PO. They looked into it and knocked on the neighbors door and asked for our packages. Neighbor, whose mailbox is about 80' from ours, opened our package, but didn't decide to give them to us until the postmaster knocked on their door. A sub had delivered to the mailbox before ours on the street. I assume they figured all this out using GPS. Again, the mailboxes are only about 80' apart, so I was impressed.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it shows up soon. I have had this happen and you put a eBay claim in immediately. If it shows up later great. But delays don’t go in your favor.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

The exact same thing happened to me. I ordered about $100 of printer cartridges on ebay. It was scanned delivered but I never received it. I complained to the local PO supervisor. He told me he would ask the carrier about it and they would call me. They never called. I went back to the PO and he said sorry it's lost no idea where it is, contact the seller. The seller was very nice and sent it again. I try to order from that seller more often now. The USPS is not very helpful.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Just happened to me where it showed "delivered" and nobody could track where it went...….2 weeks later it shows up in my apt. manager's office.
    Had another one a while back that was "delivered". Finally got in touch with the guy who delivered it and he says "You were not home so I put inside your large barbeque grill. I don't own one...…….but my neighbor does and there it was.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Just an FYI the USPS is delivering packages separately in many areas and not thru the regular carrier. I have had packages "delivered" and I had already got the mail that day. I went back to the mailbox and it was there. They are now delivering packages even on Sunday.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2019 6:18AM

@sayheywyo said:
    The USPS scanners do have GPS. The USPS intranet has more detailed information than the customer can see when tracking a package.

Great advice here and elsewhere in this thread. I brought the tracking info to the post office. They saw where it was delivered and I had the card by end of day yesterday. Unfortunately, the card was sent media mail with little to no protection (a really cheap and tiny bubble mailer) and this is what the card looks like:

Daniel
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a crying shame. Crazy part is the card almost looks unscathed, except that hit it took on the right of the top edge is a killer. Seller could not be more completely at fault, and is an idiot as he will now be out the money after refunding you.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@sayheywyo said:
    The USPS scanners do have GPS. The USPS intranet has more detailed information than the customer can see when tracking a package.

Great advice here and elsewhere in this thread. I brought the tracking info to the post office. They saw where it was delivered and I had the card by end of day yesterday. Unfortunately, the card was sent media mail with little to no protection (a really cheap and tiny bubble mailer) and this is what the card looks like:

Its against USPS rules to send sports cards media mail.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

I hope you leave appropriate feedback for the seller

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 7:48AM

Bogus. Is the card itself damaged?

ETA: I just blew up the scan and it is damaged. Quadruple bogus!

Andy

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what the seller's shipping info says:

Andy

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 10:57AM

Looks like some serious force was applied at the 'e' in pitcher. Broke the case, creased the card and looks like the sharp edge of the case caused some edge chipping on the top. Horrible seller. Trying to make a few extra bucks off shipping. SMH......

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a slam dunk refund case. What a shame.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Doesn't the Small Priority Flat Rate Box cost $7.90, not $3.00

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry too see this happen. It's happened to me before also. The headaches of card collecting. The headaches of Ebay and the shipping process.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Yeah a small flat rate USPS Priority Mail box is now north of $8 a pop I believe.

• Options

Well the seller accepted the return so the card is on the way back. A $50 card (which I bought with that 13% eBay bucks promotion 2 weeks back) is now maybe a $5 card. A shame because it was a pretty nice card.

Daniel