Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Fleer Star Sticker Willie Randolph reverse negative

I sometimes search ebay for reverse negatives I don't have (still my favorite error type) and came across this. Given the description I wonder if it's a proof. (For whatever reason some proofs have reverse negatives. I have copies of a few 1970s Topps cards with reverse negatives.)

Any insight?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Fleer-Star-Sticker-REVERSE-NEGATIVE-variation-error-Willie-Randolph-Yankees-/372668547707?hash=item56c4c6c27b:g:u34AAOSwPphc12J9&nma=true&si=278ZLKw%2BAkUIBFUUYodkCwcGwHg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! This is the first I've heard of this particular card. Since the main set was issued
    during the hey day of error cards, 1981 Fleer and 1981 Donruss being the premier
    examples, I would think it would be known. My yearly Becketts are in storage so I am
    unable to look thru them. Either it is a long forgotten with very few released cards, or
    as you say , a proof, possibly released by an employee at the time. Is Fleer still an active
    company? If not then when their inventory was sold/auctioned off this may have been
    part of the that process. Anyway, nice find. Did you win the card or just come across
    the posting?

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

No, I only saw it last night. Dang it!

I looked through other '81 Randolph sticker listings and none of them were reversed. If it was an actual error I guarantee I'd have bought it years ago.

Blank back, no "peel off indentations", thin- all sound like a proof card. And it'd be easy to accidentally flip a Yankee photo as the logo doesn't look obviously backwards at first glance.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fabricated error card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Idferg. How?

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

blank back. grainy picture. unknown error for 38 years. too many red flags to be legit.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:
    blank back. grainy picture. unknown error for 38 years. too many red flags to be legit.

You could be right. However, if I were the one creating a counterfeit, I would probably focus my efforts on a player that would bring a higher price such as Rose, Brett, Henderson, etc. But who knows?