Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were the Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo HK-364 and HK-364A So-Called Dollars struck at the Expo?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2019 8:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

HK-364 and HK-364A mule the obverse and reverse sides of of the Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo (AYPE) official medal with a government building reverse.

Paul Middents indicates these were struck by Joseph Mayer's company under contract with the US Mint. Do we know if these were struck in the Government Building Mint Exhibit? The official medals HK-353 to HK-356 were struck in the exhibit so it seems to make sense that these would be as well.

Here's my HK-364A, from the Hornreich Collection, which previously won NGC's "Best Custom Set" Registry award.

Comments

• Options
    SG58SG58 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Very interesting information in this thread. What is the difference between HK-364 and HK-364A?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019 5:59PM

@SG58 said:
    Very interesting information in this thread.

Thanks! I find these medals fascinating. I'm a big fan of the U.S. Mint striking medals at various expositions.

@SG58 said:
    What is the difference between HK-364 and HK-364A?

There are two medals and what they are classified as seems to have been a source of a bit of confusion due to some errors in H&K.

H&K 1st and 2nd editions only have HK-364 while HK-364A is listed in the H&K companion website (https://so-calleddollars.com). I wasn't able to find a photo in the 1st edition Google Books search while the 2nd edition has a conflicting description and photo, saying "obverse of No. 353 [Official Seal]" but then showing a photo of the reverse of No. 353.

The H&K companion website lists both HK-364 and HK-364A with HK-364 being the HK-353 obverse and HK-364A being the HK-353 reverse.

In practice, I think both HK-364 and HK-364A have been certified as HK-364.

The two medals are:

HK-364 (website) Obverse of HK-353 with U.S. Government Building Die

• Photo courtesy of John Raymond

HK-364A (website) Reverse of HK-353 with U.S. Government Building Die

H&K 2nd Edition has a description that says "Obverse of HK-353" but shows an image with the "Reverse of HK-353".

HK 2nd Edition: HK-364

HK 2nd Edition: HK-353

HK Companion Website

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have an answer, but the National Archives at Sand Point in Seattle, and the UW Library Special Collections have some history on the AYPE. I plan to use these sources for Mayer history on other projects.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file