Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you do?

I have a (almost complete, missing the 11-d) set of Indian quarter eagles in TPG holders grading mostly 61-62. Was thinking of selling them off and getting one high grade type coin. Probably would be a wash financially, I got them relatively cheap long ago....or I could get the 11-d and have a complete set of something .Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

What type of type coin? I don't know what you're interested in, but I would sell them and start a type set of better date CAC gold.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy the 11D in nice AU and enjoy the set. That's what I did with my mercs when I got to the 16D.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you decide to sell the set and buy one type coin.

Sell it and buy the highest grade (slabbed) PCGS 1911-D $2 1/2 you can afford. CAC would be nice too. :)

Otherwise, I'd start a collection of modern $5 gold commemorative coins as they can be bought a little over melt. You'll probably end up with more grams of gold and some interesting coins.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you bought them years ago cheap, keep them....and look for a cheap high grade type coin that years from now you'll be able to say the same thing about

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do whatever would bring you the most enjoyment. It shouldn’t take a group consensus or individual opinions, for you to decide what course to take.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll play devil's advocate for a second. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I started a Lincoln Cent collection as a kid. When I took up collecting again as an adult , I just had to finish that set. I was quite satisfied when I bought the 09-S VDB and it came back with a straight ef40 grade. At that point it was sort of anticlimactic. I liked the set and I enjoyed putting it together, but now what? I could have kept it and upgraded the coins over time... the 14D was at F15 and definitely could have used some help. As I was contemplating selling and getting more into Type collecting, the Fates decided for me that I'd be selling it! When I took back up collecting on a limited scale, I decided to go with Type as my primary focus. I still have parts of my Lincoln Cent collection... 2x2 flips mostly, but it's definitely not my primary passion. People and their hobbies evolve... nothing wrong with that.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the 1911-D in slabbed AU to complete your set. At least that's what I'd do.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you complete the set then you have a great feeling of accomplishment for what you started. It is something that you can be proud of because you put in the work to reach a goal. Then if you want to sell it and start over it would have a different feeling than not finishing the set.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger ASKED: Let me know what you think!

So IMO, that's the only post that is pertinent in this thread. In the end, he is going to do what he decides. Nevertheless, by asking us for an opinion, he may discover some things he never thought about. Let's have more suggestions! :)

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd finish the set.
    Revel in my achievement for a spell.
    Then reassess and go from there.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I was just looking for what others here thought. Definitely got what I was looking for! Ultimately I will do what I think is best and I really appreciate all the informed opinions that exist here. It is why I joined the forum recently. I really was on the fence anout this for awhile and was thinking of getting a high grade Indian Quarter Eagle with the proceeds, but now I’m thinking it WOULD be an accomplishment to complete the set. I’m gonna finish what I started. After all, they are gold.....!
    Thank you all for your thoughts.

Indulger

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although late to your decision, I would have recommended you examine the time you have put into this set, the positive experiences in the acquisitions for your set, and your pride in the collection.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 11-D is driving you crazy, set a goal to get one and work toward it. Get a GREAT one. Where there's a will, there's a way. Or sell it. Or trade it. Only you get to decide what makes you happy.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:40PM

@Indulger said:
    I have a (almost complete, missing the 11-d) set of Indian quarter eagles in TPG holders grading mostly 61-62. Was thinking of selling them off and getting one high grade type coin. Probably would be a wash financially, I got them relatively cheap long ago....or I could get the 11-d and have a complete set of something .Let me know what you think!

The coins are very common and can be easily replaced later if you have regrets. If you can get out without taking a bath, liquidate everything and put the money in a non-numismatic investment.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:38PM

I have more fun assembling partial sets without the very expensive (and usually overpriced "key"dates). Many key dates are leftovers from the era where mintages dictated rarity and price. In many cases the semi-keys are scarcer in some grades. Low mintage dates are often over-saved. In any event I personally wouldn't want the 11-D. Getting the other coins to match and look nice is the hard part. Anyone can buy an 11-D....it just takes $$. Now the "right" 1911-d that is fully original, blasty, and well struck, and stands head and shoulders above its peers in the same grade....I could do that.

If a key date is considered "the set," that's probably not a set I'd bother with. It's ok to collect only key date coins. There's logic to that as well.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wouldn't bother you right now to sell the set minus 1 coin, why would adding the last coin change that? If adding the 11-D was the way to go methinks that you'd have done that without asking here.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    If it wouldn't bother you right now to sell the set minus 1 coin, why would adding the last coin change that? If adding the 11-D was the way to go methinks that you'd have done that without asking here.

Fair enough, good point!

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

When faced with such decisions, I start with choosing one path... but then 'sleep on it' for a day or two. If I find myself being a little uncomfortable with said decision; I'll commit to the other path... but then sleep on that for a day or two also.
    Usually this exercise will point me in the direction that is best for me... helps balance the heart vs. mind dilemmas. :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 7:19PM

Get the 1911-D in MS62 and then crack them all out to put in a Capital Plastics holder o:)

It will feel incredible :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finish it!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger said:

Well, I think you should do what you really want to do. Give it a few days, it will come to you.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Are you collecting or investing?

Either way, keep the set.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file